News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Some graphics showing VC funding for Calgary. I can't access 2022 numbers, but 2023, was a good year (at least relative to other Canadian metros) and Q1 of 2024 looks good so far.

Q1 2024 Source https://reports.cvca.ca/books/usuc/#p=18
1717384538424.png

2023 Source https://reports.cvca.ca/books/ugbs/#p=36
1717384573570.png

That's impressive that Calgary is considered to be ahead of Ottawa in the rankings. For as long as I can remember Ottawa has been considered a major tech hub.

They are lumping in Waterloo as part of Toronto's ecosystem which I consider to be a bit of a stretch.

That's impressive that Calgary is considered to be ahead of Ottawa in the rankings. For as long as I can remember Ottawa has been considered a major tech hub.

They are lumping in Waterloo as part of Toronto's ecosystem which I consider to be a bit of a stretch.
Ottawa never fully recovered from the Dot Com Crash as its tech industry was highly leveraged towards telecom hardware (ex. Nortel, JDS, Newbridge). It also suffered the same challenges as Calgary did during the oil boom....Why work for a tech startup when you can do desktop support for the Federal Government and make more money with 6 weeks paid vacation and a pension?

Ottawa never fully recovered from the Dot Com Crash as its tech industry was highly leveraged towards telecom hardware (ex. Nortel, JDS, Newbridge). It also suffered the same challenges as Calgary did during the oil boom....Why work for a tech startup when you can do desktop support for the Federal Government and make more money with 6 weeks paid vacation and a pension?

Unfortunately the NAICS codes for CMA employment aren't in enough detail to tease Waterloo vs Ottawa vs Calgary out. the province wide stats are only easily accessible to 2001, cities at less detail to 2006.
This is an attempt to get the product they’ll make inside of the tariff wall which protects most dairy products. It is good it is in Alberta if it is going to exist. It is bad that it will exist at all.

Attachments

• 1718815335137.png
    1718815335137.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

Back