News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

Calgary Robotics Company FulcrumAir opens Denver office, signing deals in Chile, Argentina, South Africa from UAV/Robotic automated technology to mitigate bird collisions with high voltage transmission lines.

Drones protecting drones 🥳

1619286800424.jpeg

That is hilarious.....though if we were in China it might actually be real. I recall reading that the Chinese govt has been using drones disguised as birds.

More on the continuing saga of pipelines.
The May 13 shutdown deadline is fast approaching and it does not look like anything has been accomplished with the governor of Michigan. Perhaps a disruption in supply to eastern Canada is required, even for a short time, to get much needed attention to the pipeline issue outside of western Canada.
I am sure this short delay won't create a huge disruption to the schedule. The hummingbird is not even indigenous to Canada but the 'save the planet' types will be happy. The media just had to report it ...I guess to get a rise out of the pro-energy crowd. The thought of a major infrastructure being partially halted because of birds nesting nearby is just laughable. It just sums up the years long battle to get this project built.

this short delay
yeah, for a 1 km section. No biggie. Easy to catch up. Now, if there was a 4 month delay on starting the tunnel boring machine, now that would suck for the critical path.
May 13 shutdown deadline is fast approaching and it does not look like anything has been accomplished with the governor of Michigan.
The Governor has no power on this one, thanks to that treaty from the 70s. Thank you Pierre Trudeau!

The Governor has no power on this one, thanks to that treaty from the 70s. Thank you Pierre Trudeau!
Yes I am aware of the treaty which if the shutdown went to court, Canada would probably win. The question is whether the governor can still take action by shutting things down and taking her chances in court. Who knows how long that process might take. Personally, I would like to see a temporary shutdown if only to raise awareness with eastern Canadians .... we are not in total control of getting our energy products to market!

https://calgaryherald.com/commoditi...-oil/wcm/e9d491e0-36f7-49f9-b754-b32f78d16306
A good perspective on why we (who believe) should stay positive about the short to medium term future of our oil & gas industry. Yes, Nuttall manages an energy portfolio so it is in his best interests to push this agenda. However, he is fact based in his assessment. The fact of the matter is that oil & gas is decades away from seeing any appreciable decline in demand. There is a lot of noise and forecasting going on about renewable energy and some major companies (i.e BP, Exxon) are preparing for that day when oil & gas is a secondary energy source. There is no denying, we have to prepare and act now for that inevitability. In the meantime, we have energy products readily available now that the world needs and wants. We also have massive federal and provincial debt that is going to have to be paid somehow. Instead of acting like the transition to renewables is right around the corner, it would be nice if our federal government acknowledged that oil & gas is not going anywhere any time soon. Selling that message to Canadians would go a long way to accepting that reality.

it would be nice if our federal government acknowledged that oil & gas is not going anywhere any time soon
The government says it all the time, Albertans as a whole just choose not to listen. Here is Sunday:

"It's a good opportunity for me to point out to people across the country, our entire economy is reliant on the energy sector," Freeland said in an interview that aired Sunday on Rosemary Barton Live.

"The energy sector is such a big part of our GDP, it is a huge part of our exports, and it is very, very important for our current account balance."

Freeland went on to say that the budget introduced "really central measures" to help support the energy sector in driving down its emissions, including the carbon capture tax credit.

"That's going to be good for Alberta, it's going to be good for the energy sector, and I really look forward to working on that," Freeland said.

The government says it all the time, Albertans as a whole just choose not to listen. Here is Sunday:
No, the government doesn't say it all the time. Although I don't always hear every interview, I do pay attention to official communications particularly those coming from the PM's office.
Sure, if the current government is asked, they usually have a prepared answer otherwise they do not mention oil & gas if they can at all avoid it. There is a difference between 'reaction' to oil & gas development and 'promotion' of it.
Freeland's response to 'helping' this 'big part of the economy' was limited to how the government is going to assist the energy sector to drive down it's emissions. Well ... OK....that will help Canada to fulfill it's global commitment in reducing carbon emissions and hearing that, appease the green movement. What she did not explain was how that action was going to be 'good for the energy sector' nor did she address the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have been lost in the industry & suppliers to the industry; the loss of investment in the sector aided by federal government policies; our continued import of oil from other countries and our inability to get our energy products to markets other than the U.S.
I would have been happy to hear Freeland say something like 'although the TMX, which our government supports whole-heartedly, is still a little ways from completion, it will dramatically improve the fortunes of the oil & gas industry and here is how ....' At least that would have been an acknowledgement that energy is still in a growth mode. But no ... the Liberals can't give the appearance that they are in support of fossil fuel growth, and that growth will help pay down the massive debt we have. Instead we get 'wishy washy' statements tied back to carbon emissions.

Last edited:

Back