Votes: 7 20.6%
  • +5,000-10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • +0-5,000

• Negative population change

• Total voters
But the vast majority of Toronto and Calgary looks exactly like Airdrie, which is a problem for both cities - not because of a "perverse infatuation with downtown density", but because sprawl is financially, environmentally, and logistically unsustainable as city regions get into a million+ population.

If you redistributed the population of Toronto to make it more even, you'd get a lot more neighbourhoods like Long Branch, which has a density of about 4,500 people/km2. Which is basically the equivalent of taking one of Calgary's inner-city neighbourhoods (South Calgary, Sunnyside, Windsor Park, etc.) that tend to have density in the 3000-range, and adding a some additional mid-rise apartment buildings.

The point is, you can increase density by a lot before you're getting into anything that looks like the Beltline, let alone downtown Toronto (and especially Hong Kong). But suggest any strategies for reining in sprawl and people start talking like you might as well be forcing them into a tenement building in lower Manhattan in the 1890s.

This one, no longer in use.
Any idea if this lot development is ever going to get going? Looks like those signs were put up in 2012...
1689194574327.png

It would make such a difference in Airdrie's downtown.
Assuming Airdrie residents want a downtown.

Any idea if this lot development is ever going to get going? Looks like those signs were put up in 2012...
View attachment 491867

It would make such a difference in Airdrie's downtown.
Assuming Airdrie residents want a downtown.
That one should have been redeveloped already but is probably better it hasn’t. No idea what’s happening with it now. Has been used as a lay down during road construction projects.

Airdrie does have plans to make their downtown actually look like a downtown, so it might be cool in 10 years when they hit 100 000 people.
Might even be a lot sooner than 10 years. I knew Airdrire was growing, but had no idea how rapidly. From 60K in 2016 to 80K in 2023!

It'll be interesting to see how much it's grown in the past year with the heavy influx to Alberta. I'm thinking it'll be around 85K this year.
It will be interesting to see if Airdrie can pass Red Deer and Lethbridge in the next decade. If they all kept up at current rates Red Deer would be passed around 2030 and Lethbridge around 2033. It's crazy the growth Airdriesauga is experiencing.

It will be interesting to see if Airdrie can pass Red Deer and Lethbridge in the next decade. If they all kept up at current rates Red Deer would be passed around 2030 and Lethbridge around 2033. It's crazy the growth Airdriesauga is experiencing.
No towers to be built here though. Low rise is it. When I bought my house in 2018 I was told I can’t build taller than 40m.

Back