• So So

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
View attachment 591707
Atleast there is some precedent to the west for taller towers 1/2 block off 17th....I doubt it's a dealbreaker if they both ended up in the 30-35 story range, but the variance is appealing
This is new, haven't seen this rendering before. Is it from the developer?

View attachment 591707
Atleast there is some precedent to the west for taller towers 1/2 block off 17th....I doubt it's a dealbreaker if they both ended up in the 30-35 story range, but the variance is appealing
What an image! You can look around and pick out where a lot of recent movement is happening. They even went to the trouble to ghost a couple in.

Yeah! There are actually 8 solid proposals all fairly likely to move forward, and 3 currently under construction in that render view. Not including this proposal.

From a page on the project website...i'm not that connected lol
Could you link the project page you’re referring to? I could only find this render on the Vesta site.

917DC2D7-8719-4793-8116-54270F040A8A.jpeg

Looking at that new rendering, I wish they took the majority of the height of the SE tower, and plopped it into the NE tower. I'm not a huge fan of that much height directly on 17th.

Looking at that new rendering, I wish they took the majority of the height of the SE tower, and plopped it into the NE tower. I'm not a huge fan of that much height directly on 17th.
At the end of the day though, we're never going to see developments on 17th with proper investments in finishes, plazas, ect... if we're restricting them to a current standard of what, 5-9 floors? I think these images do a good job of explaining how they can take away some of the street level vertical appearance. The 17thave tower, imo, is a nice middle ground that hopefully encourages more vertical investments on the east end of 17th

Screenshot 2024-08-28 121625.png

Screenshot 2024-08-28 121637.png

image12-1024x623.png

This would be a truly transformative project for the area. Such a huge project would completely shift the epicentre of 17th eastward.
I've always thought that the epicentre of 17th should be further east, or at least that there should be a second epicentre.

To me, the blocks between 17th Ave & 13th Ave, and 4th St & 1st St are ripe for redevelopment because of the incredible central location. Here you are within walking distance of 17th Ave (W), the Mission/4th St (S/SW), the Elbow River/Lindsay Park/MNP (S/SE), the Entertainment District/Stampede Grounds (E), Central Memorial Park (N), 10th Ave (N), E end of Downtown (arguably the better part of Downtown) (N), and then East Village/Central Library/Bow River a bit further (NE).

I think that 17 Ave between 4th St & 1 St should be the first area to be redeveloped (which this development would contribute to). Right now, there basically isn't anything of interest on 17th Ave east of 4th St, save and except the corner with Model Milk/Pigeon Hole. It's an area with so much potential given it could connect interesting areas (1st St, 17th Ave & 4th St), and has some unique character (e.g., St. Mary's Cathedral & Rouleauville Square).

I've always thought that the epicentre of 17th should be further east, or at least that there should be a second epicentre.

To me, the blocks between 17th Ave & 13th Ave, and 4th St & 1st St are ripe for redevelopment because of the incredible central location. Here you are within walking distance of 17th Ave (W), the Mission/4th St (S/SW), the Elbow River/Lindsay Park/MNP (S/SE), the Entertainment District/Stampede Grounds (E), Central Memorial Park (N), 10th Ave (N), E end of Downtown (arguably the better part of Downtown) (N), and then East Village/Central Library/Bow River a bit further (NE).

I think that 17 Ave between 4th St & 1 St should be the first area to be redeveloped (which this development would contribute to). Right now, there basically isn't anything of interest on 17th Ave east of 4th St, save and except the corner with Model Milk/Pigeon Hole. It's an area with so much potential given it could connect interesting areas (1st St, 17th Ave & 4th St), and has some unique character (e.g., St. Mary's Cathedral & Rouleauville Square).
Me too. I always thought 2 epicenters made sense for 17th ave. Right now it feels like 8th and 17th ave is the epicenter, but this would make 4th and 8th the main one, or at least an equal second.

Me too. I always thought 2 epicenters made sense for 17th ave. Right now it feels like 8th and 17th ave is the epicenter, but this would make 4th and 8th the main one, or at least an equal second.
I think we'll find, especially with the 17th extension/BMO/SP almost done, a real transition of new development over the next 10 years to that 4th to 1st with a continuation of higher end retail/food/residential from mid 17th. I see west of 10th st (from 10th to 17th ave) and into sunalta becoming more of an everyman/arts/warehouse/affordable-ish zone, more grungy, more reno's/redev on the retail/commercial side.

That's my hope anyway, I think your downtown's and surrounding areas need distinct identities...I hope we dont try to do everything everywhere

Back