1390 - 17 Ave SE | 49m | 16s | Hungerford

[QUOTE
Community association not happy about it at all:
[/QUOTE]

Height again!!! The (3) heritage buildings will be 'dwarfed' by this new building. So would Avli or Southpark if built on this property instead of where they are. What about all of the heritage buildings in Beltline or downtown Calgary that have high rises built all around them. That is such a weak argument. There is no residential on either side of this property or behind it yet they still play the 'height card'.

From the Inglewood CA newsletter:

"High-Density Residential / Hungerford (17 Avenue SE):

AFTER A VERY intense month of December addressing concerns with Hungerford’s first Inglewood project along 9 Ave at 8 St SE, the land-use change for Hungerford’s second Inglewood project was up for review at our January meeting. The site is located at 1390 – 17 Ave SE, across the street from Cold Garden and Ol’ Beautiful. The site also falls within 200m from the proposed
Ramsay/Inglewood Greenline Station. The proposal is for three buildings of 13 storey (38m) height. The buildings will front onto the rear of a block of single-family homes along 11 Ave. The application did not make mention of applying for the land-use change with a DC (which needs to be filed at the time of the land-use change application).

The application was not supported by the Committee based on its height (3 x 38m), FAR, and impacts to surrounding neighbours (particularly the single-family homes along 11 Ave). Some concerns were also raised about the increase in traffic, as one of the access roads to the site is an existing lane off 11 Ave SE. The Committee will be suggesting the City look at conducting a study into traffic impacts.

The Committee also wanted to re-emphasize that a comprehensive TOD study needs to be conducted within Inglewood so the community can have a more solid understanding of what density the City is expecting the community to accommodate (often at the expense of, or to the detriment of single-family homes)."

Hi All,
Anyone Know How to Get in Touch with this Company? Looking at the Possibility pf living in the Project. Tnx.
The project is years away at the earliest. If it's rental they won't have a response until the building is at least half way under construction.

20201209_143036.jpg

Saw this in inglewood today

Height again!!! The (3) heritage buildings will be 'dwarfed' by this new building. So would Avli or Southpark if built on this property instead of where they are. What about all of the heritage buildings in Beltline or downtown Calgary that have high rises built all around them. That is such a weak argument. There is no residential on either side of this property or behind it yet they still play the 'height card'.

Devil's advocate: Part of my part of my undergrad was about architectural heritage conservation, and we heavily studied The Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. The reason 100m+ buildings downtown right beside a 4 story heritage building is allowed is because 100 years ago 4 stories was a high-rise downtown, so that contrast actually respects the existing historical character because it shows the change over time. The character of Inglewood isn't high-density mixed-use development, its a walkable neighborhood with local shops and a pedestrian activated main street.

The main argument is that the new development impacts the existing cultural landscape too aggressively. To be clear this isn't me being a NIMBY , it's "Inglewood has a distinct character and the future developments need to respect that." There's a reason my avatar photo is what it is. I would love if the entire neighborhood transformed into 4 story multi-family units in the next 40 years with 9th Ave allowing up to ~10 stories, because that's a natural evolution of the urban community. Planting 20 story towers literally in the backyard of a single family home in no way respects the evolution of that cultural landscape. Especially since it's most likely just someone trying to flip a parcel on the change of land use, I say throw the book at them. There's plenty of better spots for 20 story towers.

I've come to the conclusion that all Community Association's in this city are essentially NIMBY associations
Agreed. Outside of the Beltline, I can only think of the Bridgeland which has allowed some bold developments to take place with minimal NIMBY opposition. This is a perfect spot and height for these towers. In fact, I'd like to see the height increased to 20+ stories and then transitioned down to midrises (4-6 stories) along 11th ave. If land uses like this don't get passed, then I don't know if we'll ever have true TODs. The whole point is to encourage maximum density around transit stations to encourage ridership and reduce car dependency. Even if a 1/4 of Ramsay was redeveloped for high density near the future LRT station, it would be significant enough to bring all sorts of benefits associated with density. That would still leave 3/4 of the neighborhood untouched so people can still hold on to whatever historical attachment they have with these old detached homes.

Bumping this thread not because there is movement with this particular project, but because Hungerford has picked up an adjacent parcel and is looking to rezone it as well. Not sure if this parcel should get its own thread or not, given it is right next to this one, and the Brewery Lands.

Parcel is 1401 17th Ave SE:
From the vision brief:
1653075501204.png

1653075520809.png

Back