1390 - 17 Ave SE | 49m | 16s | Hungerford

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hungerford Properties held an open house for their second Inglewood Project on September 9th, located at 1390 - 17th Ave SE. Still in the re-zoning stages, so the building concepts are still just that, concepts, but a lot of thought looks to have gone into them. This site is currently a single storey older industrial building, and is right next to the future Inglewood/Ramsay Greenline LRT Station. The open house boards can be found here:

Some images from the open house boards:

(you can see the massing of their other Inglewood Project, 907-915 9th Ave SE, in the background of this last one).

Seeing the backlash "the Grid" got, it'd be hard to imagine this one getting through smoothly. I like the idea of more density in around Inglewood to help fuel the mainstreet along with creating a strong LRT node. I just don't think the locals in the area will be on board with this size of scale. I do hope Im wrong.

There might not be much backlash on this. It's shorter than the Grid, 8 or 9 floors. If they come in at 16 floors, they can then compromise down to 12 floors, which would still be a decent height.

Any word on where their other Inglewood project currently stands? I believe they had a couple open houses for that one already.

There might not be much backlash on this. It's shorter than the Grid, 8 or 9 floors. If they come in at 16 floors, they can then compromise down to 12 floors, which would still be a decent height.

It's going to be a tough one given that there is a full block of bungalows directly across the alley. On the merits, the Torode site across the tracks seems like the better location for this, but Torode is asking $11M or ~$100/dsf which seems to be more than the market will bear.

Any word on where their other Inglewood project currently stands? I believe they had a couple open houses for that one already.
The land use application has been "submitted" for a while, but not fully under review:
I think the delays are related to the still "draft" status of the Historic East ARP (Inglewood / Ramsay), which has not been finalized as the City waits for the updates on the Developed Areas Guidebook (DAG). I think the DAG may finally be moving forward in October, so that might explain why there is some recent action on developments in Inglewood (these two by Hungerford, Landstars, and RNDSQR).

RNDSQR looks to be launching their engagement on their Inglewood project soon:
They have a few ads in the October newsletter for the Inglewood Community Assocition, including the launch of an engagement "bench" (see pages 20 and 21):

To give you an idea of the community's stance on some of these, the Planning report (page 22) is a pretty good reference. Sounds like Hungerford's 9th Ave project is in for a tough go of it.

Attachments

• 1569422907227.png
    1569422907227.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 437
  • 1569422915764.png
    1569422915764.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 1569422969301.png
    1569422969301.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 425
To give you an idea of the community's stance on some of these, the Planning report (page 22) is a pretty good reference. Sounds like Hungerford's 9th Ave project is in for a tough go of it.
Not exactly accommodating. If the city is serious about adding density and cutting back on greenfield development, they can't listen to every complaint from a community association. Looking at the rendering the project she is referring to is the one off in the distance, and to me it doesn't look overly large or out of context.

Both projects are on the outer boundaries of the Inglewood ... the 9th Ave one just before crossing the bridge into downtown. Neither interfere with the 'village' charm or feel of the community. It is ridiculous that these kinds of complaints are even entertained.

If anything, it will just add to the village feel by putting more pedestrians on the streets during off hours.

If the city caves into too much of the concerns from locals like they did with the Sunnyside project then they might as well give up on TODs, no point in pretending with all these fancy plans.

I see areas like Inglewood, Bridgeland, Kensington, etc. as areas that are open to all Calagarians to enjoy. I understand the importance of preserving heritage in these communities but sometimes the NIMBYist get carried away and only isolate their community from the rest of Calgarians. Developments like this will help bring more local residents into the area to help fuel businesses along the mainstreets making them more vibrant year long and eventually attracting even more tourists/residents outside of their community.

If the city caves into too much of the concerns from locals like they did with the Sunnyside project then they might as well give up on TODs, no point in pretending with all these fancy plans.

I see areas like Inglewood, Bridgeland, Kensington, etc. as areas that are open to all Calagarians to enjoy. I understand the importance of preserving heritage in these communities but sometimes the NIMBYist get carried away and only isolate their community from the rest of Calgarians. Developments like this will help bring more local residents into the area to help fuel businesses along the mainstreets making them more vibrant year long and eventually attracting even more tourists/residents outside of their community.

I like to see more explicit horse-trading between community amenities and densification. For example, if the Inglewood CA wants to whine about closing the Inglewood pool, then let's see you step up to the plate and support some more mid-rise apartments. If Sunnyside wants a higher flood berm, OK, then let's talk about up-zoning the community from M-CG/R-C2 to M-C2 so there's more tax base to protect.

The Bow-to-Bluff project in Sunnyside is a good example of how to make this work - each new multifamily project contributed into an amenity fund which will be put towards the new park.

I like to see more explicit horse-trading between community amenities and densification. For example, if the Inglewood CA wants to whine about closing the Inglewood pool, then let's see you step up to the plate and support some more mid-rise apartments. If Sunnyside wants a higher flood berm, OK, then let's talk about up-zoning the community from M-CG/R-C2 to M-C2 so there's more tax base to protect.

The Bow-to-Bluff project in Sunnyside is a good example of how to make this work - each new multifamily project contributed into an amenity fund which will be put towards the new park.
Yeah not a bad idea! Im open to what ever ideas can work at this point but it just breaks my heart to see developments scrapped or downgraded massively because of NIMBYism and nothing else, especially in an economy like this where we could use every little job creating development. A communities residents also need to understand that they need to use discretion when opposing or supporting developments like this. A 1-3 storey increase from the land use should be seen with more acceptance but a 10+ storey right on a mainstreet filled with midrises is rightfully a big "No." Residents need to look at concerns with a more open mind, case by case, instead of seeing everything outside the norm as a threat. Everyone is always entitled to their opinion but City hall also needs to do a better job at drawing the line and looking at concerns more objectively to fit the vision of ideal planning, thats why they hire experts for.

Yeah not a bad idea! Im open to what ever ideas can work at this point but it just breaks my heart to see developments scrapped or downgraded massively because of NIMBYism and nothing else, especially in an economy like this where we could use every little job creating development. A communities residents also need to understand that they need to use discretion when opposing or supporting developments like this. A 1-3 storey increase from the land use should be seen with more acceptance but a 10+ storey right on a mainstreet filled with midrises is rightfully a big "No." Residents need to look at concerns with a more open mind, case by case, instead of seeing everything outside the norm as a threat. Everyone is always entitled to their opinion but City hall also needs to do a better job at drawing the line and looking at concerns more objectively to fit the vision of ideal planning, thats why they hire experts for.

Ya this is probably an unpopular opinion here, but i do think that this scale is out of context with the neighbourhood. Also this site has pretty bad access and egress for that many units. I think three 5-6 storey buildings would be more appropriate on this specific site. I guess i am just seeing too much 'density flipping' and really only want to see additional density and height given away to people who demonstrate an elevated public good, and people who are ACTUALLY going to build the building, not just get the land lift and sell the land.

It's frustrating, but not surprising The 9th ave project is the right scale for the neighbourhood. I'm going to send some feedback to the file manager in support of the Land Use.

CALVIN C. CHANLOC2018-0038
phone.png
403-268-1970
envelope-o.png
Calvin.Chan2@calgary.ca

Back