101 – 11th Avenue SE | 120.09m | 37s | Oxford Properties | Zeidler

Has anyone heard anything about this project? From my understanding the DP got approved but they're not moving ahead right now?
They're in that pack of developers with plans submitted multi tower projects. I suspect we'll see some of them go, just a case of which ones will go for it.

If all of these developments around the east side of the beltline get built, it will literally be forest of high rise towers. Good density, but I question how the neighborhood feel would be.

As I live in Victoria Park, I would welcome all of this development as disruptive as it will be to roads & sidewalks during construction. However anything is better than the numerous surface parking lots that blight the neighbourhood now.

As I live in Victoria Park, I would welcome all of this development as disruptive as it will be to roads & sidewalks during construction. However anything is better than the numerous surface parking lots that blight the neighbourhood now.
That's a fair statement. not every place in the core needs to have clusters of 35 storey apartment towers, but it would be nice to have an area that does, as the density would be pretty cool., That and like you said, they're only taking away surface lots, so even better.

I would like to see all those developments go through in that part of town. Not only would those empty lots disappear but it would go a long way towards building a nice network of streetscape that doesnt exist in that area today.

If all of these developments around the east side of the beltline get built, it will literally be forest of high rise towers. Good density, but I question how the neighborhood feel would be.
As long as the street level is done well, it should be a nice area. The Beltline ARP restricts floor plate size, so they won't be massively wide towers, should still let some sunlight through and be much more inviting that the point towers in the west end.

Reactions: AJX
For sure as it's not the level of sunlight that makes the towers in the west end uninviting.

I would hope the podiums and street treatment are good, but still not into the height of the towers. I would rather see buildings in the 15-30 floor range with most buildings 15-20 floors, and a few taller ones here and there. This is mostly because from enjoyment of sunlight, but also not to have streets that feel like there's a looming giant around every corner, sunlight or not. I prefer lowrise and mid rise buildings.

I’m completely with you on preference for human scale buildings, but I have no problem with one area of the city having a hood with a cluster of really tall residential towers. It would be a nice option to live in a hood that had that ‘Coruscant’ feel to it. :cool:

Only problem is that we have to wait 20 - 40 years for Coruscant, assuming trends continue. I find it amazing that Victoria Park still isn't even close to it's peak population (~3,600 in the late 1960s) despite a cluster of mega-towers. It currently has a population closer to 900.

Human-scale buildings are cheaper/quicker to build and are easier to put up. Ironically, they are also easier to tear down (which is one of several reasons why Victoria Park needs to be rebuilt in the first place).

Whatever gets us a few thousand more downtown residents the fastest is my preference. I don't want to be on my death bed when that part of the city becomes dense enough to be vibrant again.

Hi Group,
I Find It Interesting that the Dlvprs want to now take out the 3 or 4 Flrs in Commercial Space etc in Their Projects. Maybe I'm Missing Something (?) but its My Views that Small Drs., Dental, Business, or Lawyers etc ADD to a Commercial Element in These Areas as well. OK Nothing Big but enough to pay their way and add to the
Viability to a Given Areas asy such. The Ideas of Office/Commercial Space Maybe a "Dirty Word" but its all Part and Parcel of what goes into making a Good Neighborhood.

Tnx,
Operater,

To get the full on Coruscant feeling it will take a while, but imagine even a couple of these multi-tower proposals go ahead, it'll kind of give it that feel, and there's a good chance we won't have to wait 20-40 years for that.
Only problem is that we have to wait 20 - 40 years for Coruscant, assuming trends continue. I find it amazing that Victoria Park still isn't even close to it's peak population (~3,600 in the late 1960s) despite a cluster of mega-towers. It currently has a population closer to 900.

Human-scale buildings are cheaper/quicker to build and are easier to put up. Ironically, they are also easier to tear down (which is one of several reasons why Victoria Park needs to be rebuilt in the first place).

Whatever gets us a few thousand more downtown residents the fastest is my preference. I don't want to be on my death bed when that part of the city becomes dense enough to be vibrant again.

Funny. The Metropolitan rental building from a few years ago gives me more that Coruscant vibe than any of the tall towers in Victoria Park.

Back