Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Yeah I was attempting a joke.... I have no idea what tv's/screens they have up there now as I haven't been in the PL seats in years. Not because I'm a fancy boy, but because my old eyes can't track the puck from that high anymore.

You have to wonder they sell the stamps now that they will not be combining facilities.
I would assume Stamps still generate revenue for CSEC, so they'll want to keep them to maintain their monopoly over pro sports entertainment in the city.

But how much they would want to invest into the Stamps venue for both the short term and long term is up in the air. Don't think they are too fond of McMahon Stadium; especially in it's current condition. But they likely wouldn't want to really invest any money into extensive renovations to it to modernize the facility. And with the city (and province technically) putting money into a brand new arena, probably be a tough sell to get them to contribute a fair chunk into a new stadium somewhere in the near future.

The Stampeders new president Jay McNeil has stated that a primary focus of the organization is improving declining ticket sales. It also sounds like the primary reason given by former season ticket owners who have left is the poor quality of the stadium and visitor experience. So a new stadium may come up quick if ticket sales don't improve.

^That would be wonderful but who is funding it ?

I’ve always hoped with the number of really wealthy people in this city at least a few of them were CFL fans (& proud Calgarians) that they would step up and fund a new stadium.

Last edited:
The city has indicated interest in renovating McMahon with the Foothills + McMahon Concept plan that they completed a few years ago. The city is trying to get funding for the Foothills Fieldhouse, and recently a councilor said they're going to make a master plan now to try get a detailed vision of the area as a whole. Perhaps funding can come via selling this as an area redevelopment project by linking funding for the Foothills Fieldhouse, along with McMahon Stadium renovations at the same time.

I wonder if CSEC has looked at the Victoria Park Garage as a possible future stadium site. There's plenty of space for a stadium plus plaza, your close to the green line station, and you can turn 11th Ave into another festival street, and I believe CSEC still has first right of purchase of that land.

Ticket sales won't get a half billion dollar stadium built. The value of the Stamps is no more than $40 million. I can't see CSEC investing more than $20 million in the team and facilities.

The city has indicated interest in renovating McMahon with the Foothills + McMahon Concept plan that they completed a few years ago. The city is trying to get funding for the Foothills Fieldhouse, and recently a councilor said they're going to make a master plan now to try get a detailed vision of the area as a whole. Perhaps funding can come via selling this as an area redevelopment project by linking funding for the Foothills Fieldhouse, along with McMahon Stadium renovations at the same time.
The university owns all the land in the south part of the parcel and would expect to be compensated for it. When Calgary Next was a thing they provisioned for a small stadium on campus to support athletics if it came to pass to enabled a full community to be built on the McMahon land.

Even if the city owned the land, it isn’t like Calgary’s land prices and density entitlements can extract big premiums to enable large subsidiation of a stadium.

A decade ago rather minimal renovations (not redoing the stands to make them comfortable for people who are taller and or wider than 1960s medians) were in the $90 million range.

Personally I suspect that nothing will be done until the Stampede needs a couple hundred million for the grandstand. And then things will move quite quickly.

Back