Votes: 39 35.5%
  • So So

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 20 18.2%

• Total voters
Calgary place was built I believe in the 70's. Its been 50 years since it was built, and the fact that it is debatable, really means WV wins the ugly contest.
You nailed my point. The fact that the at grade relationship and public realm is directly comparable is embarrassing. We shouldn’t be building full block or smaller developments comparable to what we consider to be undesirable projects of 50 years ago. The fact you can still build something as shitty as Calgary Place today speaks to the garbage policy framework that guides inner city redevelopment projects.

Good point.

Good point.
I really don’t want to be a downer on projects but this shit is beyond unacceptable considering the quality of projects everywhere in the world. Every aspect of this is dogshit 1970s anti-urbanist design hasn’t been acceptable elsewhere for 20-30 years even. It’s a truly oppressive and automobile dependent design for the time it’s completed. It also shows how novice the people reviewing the application were, obviously this was going to be value engineered to death with the 4 allowed revisions into absolute oblivion compared to the renderings. City of Calgary provide more feedback on applications and be harder on design and materials, anyone could have seen this disaster coming if you knew what to look for. If this development application came up in the lower mainland it would have been laughed out of the room at pre-app even in Surrey.

The podium is absolute shit, no doubt, but is there any idea on how the podium interacts on the sides that don't face 9th Ave? Not that it's an excuse, but I believe from the initial concepts that 9th Ave was getting the hostile treatment since the road isn't urban friendly. Perhaps the other sides of the building won't be as bad? The bar is pretty low that they've set here.

I had the understanding that they cancelled the third tower and increased the height of the second instead?

The podium is absolute shit, no doubt, but is there any idea on how the podium interacts on the sides that don't face 9th Ave? Not that it's an excuse, but I believe from the initial concepts that 9th Ave was getting the hostile treatment since the road isn't urban friendly. Perhaps the other sides of the building won't be as bad? The bar is pretty low that they've set here.
As luck would have it, the hoarding wall came down in the last day or so on the 11th Street side. I snapped these photos this morning. Still not finished, but you can kind of get an idea of what the interface with 11th Street will look like:
PXL_20210224_154211793.jpg
PXL_20210224_154233579.jpg

For reference, here is what we were shown for the rendering for this area:
West Village 7.jpg

Back