News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

It's a bit astonishing how much some people's privilege is showing right now, and sad for them. It's not only old folk though. Unfortunately the number of young people requiring hospitalization in the US is rising; NYT saying 40% in hospital are aged <55. I hope we don't see that here. For the most part, I've noticed people my age (30+/-) have been following directives.

A friend of mine who lives in NYC, was telling me that she got into a fight with her parents who live here, but are snowbirding in Arizona right now. They refuse to come home, they don't think it'll affect them there. They told my friend (who has lived in NYC for 9 years) that they will go home if she does...

I think the elderly who live on their own are going to have the hardest time with this. They usually don't like change at the best of times. Quarantine and loss of freedom will be unbearable.
That and I'm sure they're not very well informed. In the cases I've seen, all are people they're people who don't use the internet or social media, and I don't think they believe anything off of the news anymore.

Last edited:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if it could lead to resurgence in architectural presence, specifically anywhere people would put their hands. Does anyone know what techniques could be used to prevent rusting? I imagine it doesn't hold up as well, or long term as stainless steel.
Copper does not rust, copper is a soft metal on its own. Will have to be some alloys made.

I'm sure they meant tarnish when they said rust. Most people don't understand that there's a difference between the two
Biggest issue facing copper would be galvanic corrosion from contact between dissimilar metals. Copper being exposed to the elements has very little effect on it. Just look at all the a/c systems out there using copper lines. While becoming much more rare we still find equipment in the 40 year old range still on a roof, while not functioning generally the copper pipe isn't the issue. You will get some amount of oxidation from road salts though for sure as well.

It's a bit astonishing how much some people's privilege is showing right now, and sad for them. It's not only old folk though. Unfortunately the number of young people requiring hospitalization in the US is rising; NYT saying 40% in hospital are aged <55. I hope we don't see that here. For the most part, I've noticed people my age (30+/-) have been following directives.

A friend of mine who lives in NYC, was telling me that she got into a fight with her parents who live here, but are snowbirding in Arizona right now. They refuse to come home, they don't think it'll affect them there. They told my friend (who has lived in NYC for 9 years) that they will go home if she does...
Yeah, I'm surprised at how many people aren't taking it seriously, or don't appear to have common sense. For example, I had to go to the grocery store to get some things. Most people were keeping their distance from each other with people waiting back for others to get their item off the shelf before moving in and getting their own items. A couple of times I had people coming up right next to me trying to reach past me to get something. FFS have you no clue?!?!

If they're going to do that, the university has plenty of spaces big and small depending on need. Old style residence should be nearly empty by next weekend. The ballrooms and the Olympic Oval have lots of electrical supply. And importantly they are close to the hospitals, have huge internet infrastructure, have loading docks, and have lots of parking.

If we get to that point we really screwed the pooch - every non mental health hospital bed room at the south health campus has its own air system - it is specifically designed for this. They’ll double bunk each room if need be. Given Alberta’s total ventilator stock is sub 600, if 400 are being used at the south health campus in the near term, we’re really fucked.

As far as I know, the Province hasn't yet enacted the part of the Emergency Act that allows them to commandeer privately owned buildings. Not to say it wouldn't happen if it gets bad enough of course. New Horizon Mall seems like a good idea though, especially if the virus begins to hit small communities between here and Red Deer.
Would it be better to take over buildings? Or build temporary tented hospitals, which could be set up in smaller sizes and dispersed more evenly? With ICU perhaps being the only care to stay in actual hospitals?

Ontario has announced the closure of non essential businesses by midnight tomorrow. Alberta expected to follow suit. No definition of what business is classified as non-essential.

Ontario has announced the closure of non essential businesses by midnight tomorrow. Alberta expected to follow suit. No definition of what business is classified as non-essential.
I had a feeling this might come about.

I can't think of anything offhand that would be considered essential other than grocery stores and gas stations, some repair services like furnace repair, etc... All other essential services are public sector services.

I had a feeling this might come about.

I can't think of anything offhand that would be considered essential other than grocery stores and gas stations, some repair services like furnace repair, etc... All other essential services are public sector services.
Prince Edward Island put out a list of essential and non-essential services. Essential and Non-Essential Services: COVID-19

So, does this mean that even if you are able to fully work from home (for what I presume is a non-essential business), you are to still stop? Or, if all employees can tele-commute, can your firm remain open and operating?

Back