News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Unbuilt Projects

Remember all of the rumours for the Alberta Boot property?
8293.jpg
ABoots.JPG

Last edited:
Who remembers the old Exchange proposal? Three towers, with one of them being something crazy like 70 stories.
75 stories for the tallest tower, 52, and 45 for the other two. I tried finding a rendering for it yesterday, but can't. Most of the old renderings on SSP are gone. One of the downsides to SSP is they host their own images, so you can never find older images. :confused: I remember it as three towers similar looking to the Alberta Boot proposal above.

Yes correct you are - 1984 it is (my bad).
Still impressive transformation for 12 years,

I'll post some unbuilt projects later tonight.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the look of Calgary's downtown in 1972 to the look of 1982.

1982's skyline is an dreadful mass of boring office towers. Thankfully today there are more residential highrises in the mix and the skyline is balancing out better.

Great Thread!
I'll post some biggies we missed out on from the 1980s, mostly from this book.
The front and back inside covers compare the skyline from the NE in 1972 & 1982 - great transformation in just 10 years:
View attachment 235073
View attachment 235074View attachment 235075

Ok, I'll start with what I have on the second tower of First Canadian Centre. I still remember delivering the Calgary Herald when this was on the front page, I was so excited ... and then it got capped at ground level and has stayed that way ever since (coming up 40 years). I've never really gotten over it as evidenced by my avatar. :(
FCC2-1.jpg
FCC2-3.jpg
FCC2-4.jpg

As a bonus, here is the gold version of a more recent un-built iteration that was mentioned by Beazley 66 a couple of pages back (the context is still wrong):
FCC2-B.jpg

Last edited:
Here is some more info and images of McIntyre Plaza that Surreal posted on the first page:
McIntyre Plaza - 1.jpg
McIntyre Plaza - 2.jpg

Notice on the far right of the last image you can see the 64 storey First Canadian Centre.
It would have been quite the impressive sight along 7th Ave. moving east to west from 1st Street to 4th Street SW you would have had:
- Bay Park Plaza - 2 towers 63 storeys each.
- First Canadian Centre - 64 storeys (and the 43 storey built tower).
- McIntyre Plaza - 66 storeys.

Back