News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Not really about a specific urban development project, but good display of the increasing density of the core.

gBrb6HR.jpg

From https://www.reddit.com/user/Nexxai

That entire row of parking lots near the train tracks =/
Great photo! That entire stretch along 9th Ave was former rail sidings until the 1960s /1970s if aerial pictures are to be believed. This was a rare inner city story where the surface parking lots today were actually a *slight* improvement in the public realm, depending on how folks feel about walking by random train yards. Most other surface parking in this photo replaced houses, apartment blocks and other buildings - an obvious net loss to the city that has yet to be made up.

We have made such great progress intensifying our core, but have a long way to go before we see surface parking disappear like it (for the most part) has in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Also great shot of our super-wide downtown arterials, the from Day-1 over-built 5th and 6th Avenues most prominently. Would be great to cut 2 lanes off of these guys each one day and actually have consistently wide sidewalks with pedestrian amenities.

Now that a critical mass of residents and investment has been achieved in a few small areas (with more on the way), I see the next phase of urban Calgary being about addressing the increasingly obvious public realm gap. We are successfully achieving density and pockets of vibrancy, but we haven't yet cracked the old-school machine that prevents, delays or compromises the pedestrian-focused improvements on a scale that is required to support a residential-focused core.

So true.
Now that a critical mass of residents and investment has been achieved in a few small areas (with more on the way), I see the next phase of urban Calgary being about addressing the increasingly obvious public realm gap. We are successfully achieving density and pockets of vibrancy, but we haven't yet cracked the old-school machine that prevents, delays or compromises the pedestrian-focused improvements on a scale that is required to support a residential-focused core.

There was this post back in March by @DougB ..probably related to the project.

The DP application says assisted living. It is unusual to see a high rise seniors/assisted living building particularly outside the city core. Does anyone know for sure that it is Chartwell Residences behind it?

p.s Directly adjacent to this is the planned Strategic Group rental project.

The DP application says assisted living. It is unusual to see a high rise seniors/assisted living building particularly outside the city core. Does anyone know for sure that it is Chartwell Residences behind it?

p.s Directly adjacent to this is the planned Strategic Group rental project.
Aren't some of the Fish Creek ones that? and up at Dalhousie?

Last edited:
^^ Yes there are. It's not really that unusual.

Not exactly an urban development, but this project is at the sales stage on the large land parcel to the south of Quarry Park at 18th and 24th St SE:

Based on the name, seems to follow the QP French Colonial theme ?. When I left Calgary in 2001, that parcel was owned by Telsec, the same company that developed the Douglasdale Business Park, and was zoned for warehouse. I believe the same site had a condo proposal around 2006-2007 so it has been in limbo for a long time.

Well, Jayman Built did Westman Village, so hopefully it replicates some of that. I wonder how much of the parcel it is for, as that is a large vacant area surrounding the child care building. Not sure if it is all the parcels or not.

Back