• So So

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Terrible

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
fullsizeoutput_330b.jpeg

Lol that's not at all what an urban development forum is about. This building looks absolutely terrible. Unequivocally. Why would you create a profile just to try and stifle personal opinion? Literally the definition of ridiculous.

I created a profile to learn more about the buildings under construction in the city. I have been watching several towers being built and I am just wondering why this particular building is receiving such negativity. I don't see it at all. It is, if I am allowed to say it, beautiful in my opinion. I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, however it makes me wonder why such negative remarks. I do understand completely what this forum is about, I'm just wondering if anyone can do better, then why not do so. I stand by my question, what has anyone done better?

I created a profile to learn more about the buildings under construction in the city. I have been watching several towers being built and I am just wondering why this particular building is receiving such negativity. I don't see it at all. It is, if I am allowed to say it, beautiful in my opinion. I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, however it makes me wonder why such negative remarks. I do understand completely what this forum is about, I'm just wondering if anyone can do better, then why not do so. I stand by my question, what has anyone done better?

Maybe he's already saving lives and delivering puppies. Now he has to design, and develop high rise properties to have an opinion? Please don't be SSP.

Wow, ask one question and get called a name.
I am here to learn about buildings. I am studying interior design and I love seeing buildings. I just don't see the bad in this tower. And kudos for the saving of lives and delivering puppies...…………….guess I have no right to an opinion or to ask questions unless I am ridiculed and called stupid.

Friend, everyone is certainly entitled to an opinion. What comes across as hostile is saying things like "Why don't you just do better" and attacking others for having a negative opinion about this building. Certainly it's not easy to build any sort of development, but as we are all citizens of the city and those that care about how it looks, we all have the right to be critical of certain pieces of architecture if we feel that the developer didn't give any sort of consideration to what the city looks like, and rather focused purely on maximizing profit. For example, Telus Sky is largely considered a great piece of architecture on this forum - you're allowed to have an opinion that you think it sucks. But no one here is going to tell you to do Telus Sky better if you do think it sucks. Makes sense?

Why so much negativity? You are doing better? Or have done better?
Give me a box of crayons and I could do FAR better! This building is cheap and ugly and there is obviously a disconnect between the interior and the exterior. Somehow Cidex seems to think Spandrel isn't noticeable.

Anyway, anyone can have their opinion, mine is that this particular development looks poorly conceived and quite banal. Your's may be that it looks great, and it's not my place to tell you that you're wrong as this is all subjective. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Wow, ask one question and get called a name.
I am here to learn about buildings. I am studying interior design and I love seeing buildings. I just don't see the bad in this tower. And kudos for the saving of lives and delivering puppies...…………….guess I have no right to an opinion or to ask questions unless I am ridiculed and called stupid.

It is fine to have a differing opinion. But i am curious, do you like one of these tower better than the other?

or

To answer your question, I like both. However, there are parts of one that I Iike more than the other and vice versa.
Opinions are just that, an opinion. I asked why so much negativity. I can understand that one may not like something, but I am amazed at all the bashing of developers and work being done.
And what comes across as hostile, is being called stupid.
I certainly feel welcome to this forum. I found this one building because I am interested in East Village. Looking at various developments in the area, this one building is, and this is my humble opinion, a lot nicer than others.

Can we redo the poll and add a dog shit category?

To answer your question, I like both. However, there are parts of one that I Iike more than the other and vice versa.
Opinions are just that, an opinion. I asked why so much negativity. I can understand that one may not like something, but I am amazed at all the bashing of developers and work being done.
And what comes across as hostile, is being called stupid.
I certainly feel welcome to this forum. I found this one building because I am interested in East Village. Looking at various developments in the area, this one building is, and this is my humble opinion, a lot nicer than others.

Can we redo the poll and add a dog shit category?

Welcome to the forum, and to each their own. And i definitely won't call someone wanting to learn or share their opinion stupid, you certainly are not, just was curious if you had an opinion between those two towers, as imo the latter is much nicer.

I think that a lot of the disdain for Cidex projects comes from the fact that they have so many towers on the go, far more than anyone else, and the beef is that they are not design focused, and use really cheap materials to clad the buildings they develop. People then worry that if they are already cheaping out on materials in a big way on earlier developments, and also make easily avoidable mistakes in terms of design and the development process (overuse of spandrel to hide clear design flaws, and the fact that West Village is like 40 stories tall without a single window installed), that it will have a big and lasting impact on the built landscape. People feel that they should make more attractive buildings and take some more pride in there work, as people want these developments to be financially successful, and more visually appealing.

Welcome to the forum, where everyone (you, me and anyone else) is entitled an opinion.

For the record, I don't hate the building - I'm definitely in the minority - but from what I've seen most people don't like the amount of spandrel on the building.

Back