5Th & Macleod | ?m | 50s | Great Gulf | Henriquez Partners

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Thread for discussion on the Great Gulf parcel at 5th ave and Macleod Trail SE. Location here , now that we have at least some info on it. Some may remember this project has been discussed a few times in the past, but little is known about it, but now we at least have a rendering.

Not much known about the project except that the parcel of land was sold to Great Gulf, and this is a rendering for the project from Henriquez Partners. 4 towers totaling 1,240,000 ft2. Residential/Office/Retail

Image13.jpg
henriquez-partners-5thmacleod-3a.jpg
henriquez-partners-5thmacleod-3.jpg
henriquez-partners-5thmacleod-4.jpg
henriquez-partners-5thmacleod-5.jpg

Last edited:
I think I just died and went to heaven, then came back and got an erection from this proposal. Amazing. Completely f*cking amazing. Thank GODS for developments like this.

I think I just died and went to heaven, then came back and got an erection from this proposal. Amazing. Completely f*cking amazing. Thank GODS for developments like this.

Forgive my cynicism but are these renderings mainly part of the marketing strategy for Highcliffe Riverfront across the street? Seems like an easier sell to promise a condo buyer that they will (eventually) be looking at an Hong Kong style architectural wonderland, rather than at a former shelter across the street. If we see the sales centre for Highcliffe go ahead soon, that would support this theory.

Dayum, this is crazy. With all these massive proposals coming up I wonder which ones will actually get built. Personally I take this one over the one on MacLeod and 25th, although I think that one is further along.

Forgive my cynicism but are these renderings mainly part of the marketing strategy for Highcliffe Riverfront across the street? Seems like an easier sell to promise a condo buyer that they will (eventually) be looking at an Hong Kong style architectural wonderland, rather than at a former shelter across the street. If we see the sales centre for Highcliffe go ahead soon, that would support this theory.
Being that GG owns both pieces of land and the rendering is from a larger architectural firm, I would say the intention is legitimate, whether it built or not, I dunno? I hope it does though, this is something truly different from anything Calgary has seen so far.

Few years ago when Great Gulf bought that parcel it was on the news and they mentioned that Great Gulf is committed to bringing top notch and big development to that parcel to replace YWCA

Few years ago when Great Gulf bought that parcel it was on the news and they mentioned that Great Gulf is committed to bringing top notch and big development to that parcel to replace YWCA
Yeah there is that yuge sign on 4th Ave just as you enter downtown off Memorial - pretty sure it's for this project and it's been up for years. Must have been a boom-time hopeful that they are sitting on. Who knows, maybe that too will go purpose-built rental!

Yeah there is that yuge sign on 4th Ave just as you enter downtown off Memorial - pretty sure it's for this project and it's been up for years. Must have been a boom-time hopeful that they are sitting on. Who knows, maybe that too will go purpose-built rental!
It's somewhere in this blog under the name Highcliff, I believe. they were supposed to open a sales centre 18 months ago but never did. Another sign that market demand for large scale condo projects is just not there yet.

Until the market improves it is not going anywhere. Every major condo project (Guardian, Verve, The Royal, Park Point Waterfront) that has been completed in the inner city in the last two years, all have plenty of units still for sale.
The recent article in the Herald about the MF market starting to return to more balanced levels was about an increased demand for 'affordable' condos (i.e. low rise, wood frame). I doubt whether many of these unsold units fall into that category.

Looks like a beautiful proposal. So is it safe to say that Highcliffe Riverfront will move forward before this project? Or the other way around?

Back