5Th & Macleod | ?m | 50s | Great Gulf | Henriquez Partners

Reminds me of that mall redevelopment in Burnaby. Maybe I've grown jaded with all the stagnant proposals such as Eau Claire Mall and the 7 tower project west of it, but I'm skeptical that this will move forward as proposed. We'll see. It is very different from our usual product though.

Was the bunker tower across the street to the West also part of the YWCA? If so, are there plans to do anything with that parcel?

Reminds me of that mall redevelopment in Burnaby. Maybe I've grown jaded with all the stagnant proposals such as Eau Claire Mall and the 7 tower project west of it, but I'm skeptical that this will move forward as proposed. We'll see. It is very different from our usual product though.

I think you're thinking of Oakridge Mall, in Vancouver (not Burnaby), which would make sense since it's by the same architect. Though you might be thinking about Brentwood Village also. Either are awesome, but I actually like this one better.

Yeah, it's not likely we'll see anything happen any time soon, as Great Gulf does not do rentals, and rentals would be the most likely to go ahead. Not to say that it won't get built sometime, but I'm 99% sure Great Gulf is going to patiently wait until the market picks up.
Until the market improves it is not going anywhere. Every major condo project (Guardian, Verve, The Royal, Park Point Waterfront) that has been completed in the inner city in the last two years, all have plenty of units still for sale.
The recent article in the Herald about the MF market starting to return to more balanced levels was about an increased demand for 'affordable' condos (i.e. low rise, wood frame). I doubt whether many of these unsold units fall into that category.

This looks amazing!
But aren’t there shadowing issues on this site precluding 50stories?
It would be pretty close, but judging at the way they've placed the buildings, I'm guessing they've already looked at it.. Worst case scenario is they would have to drop it a half dozen floors.

The tallest of the towers at 5th and 3rd is 41 stories and is closer to the river. I think they can do 50 stories.

It's an interesting design. Wrong location. The east side of downtown deserves better. Strip it down to the basics and it's four sister towers on a bland, blocky podium. These are built everywhere from the Waterfront of Toronto to Mississauga and some mall redevelopment in Vancouver to Metrotown.

@MichaelS posted something about this a while back iirc. It seems to me the YWCA parcel was sold to the developer (Great Gulf I believe), and I thought they had submitted a land use application, but it's not showing up on the city's website.

Whatever the case being, it sure looks interesting, the towers are different from anything we've seen in Calgary.
The land use application for the YWCA site was approved by Council. It was LOC2017-0067. The redesignation was to one of the stock districts CR20-C-20/R-20, so nothing would show up on the development map anymore for this.

I think you're thinking of Oakridge Mall, in Vancouver (not Burnaby), which would make sense since it's by the same architect. Though you might be thinking about Brentwood Village also. Either are awesome, but I actually like this one better.

Yes I was referring to the Oakridge mall redevelopment.

This looks a lot like Westbank's Oakridge proposal (same architect I believe) in Vancouver. I'm a huge fan. Hopefully they can make this work.

Back