Marda | 21.03m | 6s | Strategic Group | NORR

upload_2018-10-17_15-54-30.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-17_15-54-30.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-17_15-54-30.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 875
Great project to add some purpose-built rental in a much needed area. It's easy to forget how expensive / ownership-focused Marda Loop's success story has been. Many more people in different situations than someone that can drop 500 - 900K on an infill would like to live in the neighbourhood, this gives a good boost in that supply of relative affordable housing for the area.

Not sure about affordability as this is going to be a luxury rental building. The interior finishes and amenities in this project will be much more premium than what is going into other builds. Strategic Group are targeting the empty nesters ... newly divorced, or sold their Calgary home, bought a place in warm climate but come back to Calgary for the summers. I have not heard what the rents will be.

Not sure about affordability as this is going to be a luxury rental building. The interior finishes and amenities in this project will be much more premium than what is going into other builds. Strategic Group are targeting the empty nesters ... newly divorced, or sold their Calgary home, bought a place in warm climate but come back to Calgary for the summers. I have not heard what the rents will be.
Oh I have no doubt. I should have emphasized the "relative" affordable part more. Whatever the rents are, I would doubt they would approach the mortgage cost of a infill for most folks. Also in a longer-range time horizon (e.g. 20 - 50 years), I mean affordable in the house market "filtering" sense. Most new product in the area is likely to remain high-end, what is luxury rentals today become the average rentals of tomorrow.

One secret to affordability is to build lots and lots of apartments 100 years ago... if you failed to do that, build lots and lots today so in 100 years you have a chance.

The non-glass material that goes up next will have the biggest impact for this building. Could make it or break it.

A very similar vibe to the one down on Elbow and 50th. I love the density and rental component. Materials - and the fact that there is only one of these infills and not endless blocks of them - will separate us from the European cities of the world but its not a bad start. The density and site utilization is at the scale you need to achieve old-world levels of vibrancy and urbanity. As we see more of this form, I hope to see the design refined and evolve to be better along our corridors and in nodes throughout the city. A good start and win for Marda Loop.

The non-glass material that goes up next will have the biggest impact for this building. Could make it or break it.
Couldn't agree more, looking at the pics from Surreal the massing looks good and the windows are bigger than expected however my fingers are crossed the exterior materials are up to snuff. Seeing some of Strategic's recent projects i'd say the chances are 50/50, haha.

Back