Votes: 11 21.6%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Maybe they will partner with Cidex and we can get "The Hat @ Eau Claire".

In all seriousness, looking at Harvard's portfolio, it doesn't look like they have the expertise or background to pull this development off. Too bad Anthem turned them away, that would've been an good partner. In an ideal world, Westbank would take this project over.
I remember looking at Harvard's portfolio before having never heard of them before. They don't seem biog enough to pull this off, which is probably why it's dragged on so long. To be honest, I think they should re-do the market building, and then have a separate developer do something with the parking lot. Keep it simple and avoid the large multi tower plan.

The architecture was pretty good, but it was too many buildings of the same style. I still think a major renovation of Eau Claire Market can turn it around, we need a market type place downtown. It just can't compete with The Core or Stephen Ave if it's to be successful.

I have my doubts too that Harvard Developments will be the eventual developer. It is very ambitious by their standards and I am sure very risky to go it alone, in today's market. The project has already had multiple re-designs to try and satisfy the city and the community. At some point you would think they will just give up and sell the property.

I have my doubts too that Harvard Developments will be the eventual developer. It is very ambitious by their standards and I am sure very risky to go it alone, in today's market. The project has already had multiple re-designs to try and satisfy the city and the community. At some point you would think they will just give up and sell the property.
Totally agree that Harvard will likely not be the end developer. Given the scale of this proposed development and the current market conditions, I would be surprised if this development takes off at all within the next 10 years.

Hi,
Seven Bldgs makes for a Massive Project. Will B interested to to see if all of them are Blt. Guess Time will tell.
Tnx,
Operater

Just got confirmation that Shape Properties will be patterning with Harvard to complete this development. Apparently they will be scrapping the current plan and restarting from scratch. Interested to see what they come up with here but sounds like it is many years out.

Wow big news - where did you hear that? That's a lot of design $$$ down the drain

Just got confirmation that Shape Properties will be patterning with Harvard to complete this development. Apparently they will be scrapping the current plan and restarting from scratch. Interested to see what they come up with here but sounds like it is many years out.

Fuck ya~! Shape will be a great strategic partner. Glad they are going back to the drawing board TBH, scrap the office and refocus the retail and create a finer-grain development (I felt Harvard's design was kind of a monolithic glass montrosity, needed diversity in design between each tower/block). Great news, makes me confident we will see something worthwhile.

I thought the buildings were cool, but 5 of the same was too many. It would be nice if one of the towers goes ahead with the original design. I did like the glass shard look! Original Needed a better street/pedestrian focus.

This is great news, I never really liked the Harvard design for the same reason as @Calgcouver. Too big and glassy, we have enough large glass boxes downtown. I rather see something along the lines of the Chinatown proposal.

It's great news something will be coming soon. I'm not too excited that Shape is involved. They do large scale master plans with twins and triplets and malls as podiums

It's great news something will be coming soon. I'm not too excited that Shape is involved. They do large scale master plans with twins and triplets and malls as podiums

I honestly agree about Shape, but i'm glad this development will get moving and won't stall out. Hopefully Shape steps up from its Burnaby mall podiums that are pretty non-descript.

Awesome - I figure Harvard must have been looking for a development partner for a long time. Part of me cringed knowing one of the last prime sites in downtown was being held by a developer from Saskatchewan with little to no mixed-use/TOD experience. Shape isn't huge, but at least brings capital plus some mixed-use experience.

I'm in the same boat as the others - original design very was cool, but too repetitive. We already have new glass quintuplets (Waterfront) across the street which have turned out to be quite sterile. Something similar to the Chinatown proposal would be amazing - and a much needed huge vibrancy boost for the area.

Back