News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary's Potential 2026 Winter Olympic Bid

Are you in favour of Calgary's Potential Olympic Bid in 2026?

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
I don't know the breakdown from the 1988 venues update, but between the $403 million for the new venue and $502 million for the venue updates, maybe there's room for a new arena in there somewhere? The city was going to put money into the Flames proposal for anew arena anyway.

When you look at those numbers, the city's share is not all that much. I was leaning toward the no side, but the close the vote gets the more I'm leaning to yes. If there's a chance we can work in new arena somehow, I'd vote yes for sure, but the budget only supports a 5,000 seat building.

This is the basic breakdown of the costs and funding as I have seen it.

Total estimated cost: $5.1 billion.

Public investment:
Government of Canada, $1.45 billion;
Province of Alberta, $700 million:
City of Calgary $390 million, plus $150 million credit for previous financial commitment to improve a downtown district that would be a games hub;
Town of Canmore, $3 million.

Private funding:
$2.23 billion from games revenues,
$1.2 billion contribution from the International Olympic Commitee in cash and services

Security budget:
$445 million

New Calgary sports venues proposed:
$403 million for a multi-purpose indoor fieldhouse and 5,000-seat arena.

New Calgary sports venues proposed:
$403 million for a multi-purpose indoor fieldhouse and 5,000-seat arena

1988 venues reboot:
$502 million to upgrade McMahon Stadium, Scotiabank Saddledome, Olympic Oval, WinSports sliding track and
ski kill, Nakiska Ski Resport, Canmore Nordic Centre, BMO Centre and Big 4 buildings

I'm still baffled they think they need a 5000 seat arena. What will that support afterwards?
Roughnecks and Hitmen both have average attendance of over 10,000. Only other team we have that would fit a 5000 seat venue well might be Cavalry FC, but I doubt that will happen, they're already set to play in Spruce Meadows.

If it's absolutely necessary to have a 5000 seat arena for the Olympics, go ask Lethbridge or Red Deer if we can borrow theirs. Don't spend $400,000,000 for a few weeks, then have it sit empty for years.

I'm honestly leaning to the yes as well, I just don't like this 5000 seat arena thing.

Mayor Nenshi has been touting the idea that for a $380,000,000 contribution from Calgarians, approximately $4 billion will be invested back into the city. Is there any truth to this? Obviously if that's a reasonable claim, it's a no-brainer ... but it sounds too good to be true ... meaning it probably is.

It is the minimum needed and it replaces the corral. They think they can do it for $100 million or so iirc.

If we get the Olympics unless everyone is insanely bull headed all of a sudden that cash becomes a public contribution to the flames arena.

It is the minimum needed and it replaces the corral. They think they can do it for $100 million or so iirc.

If we get the Olympics unless everyone is insanely bull headed all of a sudden that cash becomes a public contribution to the flames arena.

It was also mentioned that if they decide to build the Flames arena the $35 million in Olympic funding for the Saddledome renovation would also go to that as well. So that would be a big chunk of the city's portion right there.

The city was going to put some money to the arena all along, and the politics got too heavy. If the Olympic bid goes through and Calgary gets the games, I'm certain the parties can work together to get a new arena.

It was also mentioned that if they decide to build the Flames arena the $35 million in Olympic funding for the Saddledome renovation would also go to that as well. So that would be a big chunk of the city's portion right there.
The dome would still require some work under this scenario. Probably a new ice plant and redoing the lower bowl. After the games then the dome is repurposed (maybe the lower bowl seats are made 100% retractable and it plays the role of the Corral + very high roof convention space) or is torn down.

I've been on the fence about the vote for a while, but have decided to vote yes. Not due to the arguments from Bidco that we will receive 10 times in return for every dollar we invest, or that it will kickstart the economy and fill empty office buildings, but simply because our share from the city is not that large, and there will be some infrastructure in return. There is the potential for a lot of intangibles, they're hard to nail down exactly, but I believe they are there. Not just intangibles for Calgary, but for sports in Canada in general. In the end, it's not a massive amount of money from the city.

Not sure how to vote, I enjoy the Olympics, but they have certainly lost some of their lustre over the years. Most of the infrastructure would be built anyway, but what timeline would we be looking at? Not sure I'll even vote tonight...

When you look at those numbers, the city's share is not all that much. I was leaning toward the no side, but the close the vote gets the more I'm leaning to yes. If there's a chance we can work in new arena somehow, I'd vote yes for sure, but the budget only supports a 5,000 seat building.
The budget supports a public contribution to a larger arena or a 100% public smaller one.

Back