News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

Here's another question, does AC fly any A320's or A319's from Vancouver to St John's? I'm assuming that they don't as the distance is not much different.

Can't make it.

On a separate note, I see that the runway takeoff length for the A220 is 4,800ft, and Springbank's new runway addition puts it at 5,000ft..... I wonder if this is a possibility someday?

Highly unlikely.

For the most part the new terminal seems fine....I've used it a couple of times, and never had issues per se, but I do have a few observations. It is indeed quite sterile, and feels empty yet cluttered. I found that too. I know the call to gate idea is an efficient one, but it still is very awkward. You go to the gate where your plane is leaving from and there are 200 people milling around with n place to sit, and with those narrow corridors, it seems very cramped very quickly. Also found it weird that they have these huge glass walls along the terminal, but the glass is mostly covered. You can even get a good look at the aircraft.

For all the short comings of the new terminal, at least the Airport Authority has listened to complaints and made some changes. It was disappointing that there wasn't more forethought.

We also can't complain that much. I flew out of London Luton (16 M passengers/year) last month and my god what a shit show. They also use a call to gate system and so my wife and I were used to that, but the main area to wait in before you were called to your gate was cramped and packed. People were packed in everywhere (I wish I would have taken a picture to do it justice) and it was 30 degrees outside and probably 25 inside. Bathroom lineups were massive for the ladies and the screens to call you to gate were very small and hard to read from a distance. (and because it was so packed, it was hard to get close enough to read them) They also released the gate numbers very close to boarding. There were numerous passengers running to make their flight because of missing their call.

For all the short comings of the new terminal, at least the Airport Authority has listened to complaints and made some changes. It was disappointing that there wasn't more forethought.

We also can't complain that much. I flew out of London Luton (16 M passengers/year) last month and my god what a shit show. They also use a call to gate system and so my wife and I were used to that, but the main area to wait in before you were called to your gate was cramped and packed. People were packed in everywhere (I wish I would have taken a picture to do it justice) and it was 30 degrees outside and probably 25 inside. Bathroom lineups were massive for the ladies and the screens to call you to gate were very small and hard to read from a distance. (and because it was so packed, it was hard to get close enough to read them) They also released the gate numbers very close to boarding. There were numerous passengers running to make their flight because of missing their call.
Even LHR isn't a nice airport to fly out of or transfer in IMO. Same for JFK, I don't care much for it either. Though both of those airports are massive and busy.

Probably just scouting for good looking women. I suspect they'll hit some other Canadian cities. There has been talk off and on about Emirates coming to Calgary, and I believe it's something that could happen, but there is a fair bit of red tape involved. @Acey or @darwink probably know more about that.

The UAE is still restricted to 6 flights a week to Canada, but it seems the agreement is to be amended from 6 flights to 10. Air services agreement: https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/transport-agreement/united-arab-emirates News story on going to 10 flights: https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/etihad-emirates-to-add-flights-to-toronto-1.2258907

As suspected, the UAE's allusion to a Calgary flight was likely a sop to the then Tory's government Alberta Ministers to try to get permission for more flights to Toronto.

That’s too bad. I flew a couple of times to Abu Dhabi last year and was thinking how nice it would be to have a direct flight, even if it was a direct flight to Dubai.

Sort of off-topic, but does anyone know what the loads are like from Toronto? I took Etihad from JFK (A380) and both times the plane was half empty. It’s a large aircraft but still.

The UAE is still restricted to 6 flights a week to Canada, but it seems the agreement is to be amended from 6 flights to 10. Air services agreement: https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/transport-agreement/united-arab-emirates News story on going to 10 flights: https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/etihad-emirates-to-add-flights-to-toronto-1.2258907

As suspected, the UAE's allusion to a Calgary flight was likely a sop to the then Tory's government Alberta Ministers to try to get permission for more flights to Toronto.

I would assume if Emirates is wanting to increase the flights to Toronto they would have to be strong, or it would be pointless. Not sure why the Etihad flights from JFK would be half empty, but Etihad, like Emirates is subsidized, and maybe they just want to keep that route regardless.

IMG_7497.JPG
IMG_7496.JPG
IMG_7495.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_7495.JPG
    IMG_7495.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 427
July passenger numbers out (no August yet)

Overall: 1,718,758 +9.2%
Domestic: 1,280,361 +12.6%
Transborder: 301,833 +1.9%
International: 136,564 -2.4%

Nice to see the overall increase. I wonder what the reason was for the decrease in international numbers?

Back