News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary International Airport

So here's a question, and this is just a question, not trying to be sarcastic, but if the A319's range is listed as 6,900km and the A220-300 is listed as 6,100km, why would the A220 be able to fly further? Did Bombardier do their testing differently than Airbus?

To say that is a theoretical number is an understatement. That number represents an 8 hour sector in still air. An A319 in a standard config (let alone a Rouge config) could not possibly ever fly that.
Heck, an A319neo could not fly that.
Herein lies the problem with Googling to derive aircraft ranges. :)

So here's a question, and this is just a question, not trying to be sarcastic, but if the A319's range is listed as 6,900km and the A220-300 is listed as 6,100km, why would the A220 be able to fly further? Did Bombardier do their testing differently than Airbus?
Modern planes just use better numbers in terms of estimating the likely configuration of airlines, weights of passengers, etc. It's not to say Airbus underestimated the burn when they published that number back in 1990 or whenever. And that's still air... when you're fighting an insane headwind the whole way across the country that reduces range. As for the real world range of CSeries, I'd have to do some reading. I know it initially performed better than expected and the range was bumped. Wouldn't surprise me if it could outfly a 319 but I don't know for sure.

Some planes fly a bit better into headwinds than others do, so it's possible it could out-range the 319. I guess we'll know once they start using it, but it would be pretty cool to have a plane of that size do that kind of range.

Westjet's latest update on flights. Mostly YYZ ands YYC
http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2018-08-13-WestJet-gives-Calgary-more-sun-and-fun-this-winter

Here's the YYC list of changes.

Calgary-Nanaimo, from two times daily to three times daily or 21 weekly flights.
Calgary-Kamloops, from two times daily to three times daily or 21 weekly flights.
Calgary-Kelowna, from seven times daily to nine times daily each business day, or 59 weekly flights – more than any other carrier.
Calgary-Fort St. John will double service from once daily to twice daily.
Calgary-Grand Prairie, from four times daily to five times daily each business day.
Calgary-Yellowknife will double service from once daily to twice daily.
Calgary-Regina, from six daily flights to seven daily flights or 49 weekly.
Calgary-Saskatoon, from six daily flights to eight daily flights each business day.
Calgary-Maui, from four weekly flights to seven weekly flights.
Calgary-Phoenix, from 20 to 21 times weekly or three times daily.
Calgary-Las Vegas, from 19 to 20 times weekly.
Calgary-Orlando, from five to seven times weekly.
Calgary-Cancun, from 16 to 20 times weekly.
Calgary-Cabo San Lucas, from eight weekly flights to 10 weekly flights.
Calgary-Huatulco, from two weekly flights to three weekly flights.
Calgary-Mazatlan, from three weekly to four weekly.
Calgary-Puerto Vallarta, from 14 to 19 times weekly.
Calgary-Ixtapa/Zihuantanejo, from four weekly to five times weekly.
Calgary-Belize, from one to two times weekly.
Calgary-Nashville seasonal route ending will now be November 26, 2018 and will resume on March 1, 2019.
Extension of existing summer service on WestJet Link through the winter between Calgary and Cranbrook, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Lloydminster and Prince George.

I haven't travelled in a while so thought it was appropriate to comment as I went through the new(ish) 70/71/72 gate last week flying in from eastern Canada. A few observations around the new terminal and extension into the old one:
  • Weirdly the whole airport - particularly the new sections - felt both cramped yet empty, it's like the terminal was designed to be giant but with tight corridors, low roofs and wasted space everywhere that is unusable
  • The flexible gate function of those gates (between domestic and international) seems like it needs a rethink, so many doors, tight/variable hallway widths and weird turns in the corridor delayed us deplaning domestic significantly as it effectively becomes single file. I get it gives lots of options for diverting people to different terminals / customs, but I haven't seen this happen before in other cities, isn't deplaning is typically the only part of the airport experience with no line once you're off the plane?
  • That shuttle vehicle track can't be very functional. It takes up huge amounts of space and tightens up the crowded corridors way more than it's worth
Overall a pretty disappointed in the experience. It gave the impression of a someone with lots of money wanted to get a shinny terminal to compete with the world-class facilities in bigger centres without really understanding what makes the big city airport experience successful. Obviously what I described is a tiny part of the $2B expansion from a few years ago, but if this is what money buys the airport authority I wouldn't be a happy client.

Anyone else have thoughts?

I haven't travelled in a while so thought it was appropriate to comment as I went through the new(ish) 70/71/72 gate last week flying in from eastern Canada. A few observations around the new terminal and extension into the old one:
  • Weirdly the whole airport - particularly the new sections - felt both cramped yet empty, it's like the terminal was designed to be giant but with tight corridors, low roofs and wasted space everywhere that is unusable
  • The flexible gate function of those gates (between domestic and international) seems like it needs a rethink, so many doors, tight/variable hallway widths and weird turns in the corridor delayed us deplaning domestic significantly as it effectively becomes single file. I get it gives lots of options for diverting people to different terminals / customs, but I haven't seen this happen before in other cities, isn't deplaning is typically the only part of the airport experience with no line once you're off the plane?
  • That shuttle vehicle track can't be very functional. It takes up huge amounts of space and tightens up the crowded corridors way more than it's worth
Overall a pretty disappointed in the experience. It gave the impression of a someone with lots of money wanted to get a shinny terminal to compete with the world-class facilities in bigger centres without really understanding what makes the big city airport experience successful. Obviously what I described is a tiny part of the $2B expansion from a few years ago, but if this is what money buys the airport authority I wouldn't be a happy client.

I really hate getting stuck with gate 70. It's the only part of the new expansion I've been in as well. It's hard to get to and your description of it being large and and empty, but somehow simultaneously cluttered and cramped is pretty apt. I'd also add monochrome and sterile. Everything is on a greyscale and the only amenity within reach is a cruddy little afterthought of a kiosk. Even a regular service Relay would be worlds better.

I haven't done any international travel direct from the new side yet. I'm hoping it has a better feel.

For the most part the new terminal seems fine....I've used it a couple of times, and never had issues per se, but I do have a few observations. It is indeed quite sterile, and feels empty yet cluttered. I found that too. I know the call to gate idea is an efficient one, but it still is very awkward. You go to the gate where your plane is leaving from and there are 200 people milling around with n place to sit, and with those narrow corridors, it seems very cramped very quickly. Also found it weird that they have these huge glass walls along the terminal, but the glass is mostly covered. You can even get a good look at the aircraft.

I'm hoping that there are some benefits for logistics that I don't understand because I've had the same thoughts.

I think there are 76 gates at the airport currently. I believe this expansion isn't the only one in the long term vision. I think the plant full plan is supposed to go up to 103 or 108 or something like that. I doubt they'll be rushing right into the next one though. Aren't they still working on harmonizing the baggage systems on the new and old sides of the airport?

I'll see if I can find something about the larger plan. I haven't seen it in years. Maybe @Nimbus knows, for he knows all!

EDIT: Looks like a major renovation for the old side is in the offing.

I think there are 76 gates at the airport currently. I believe this expansion isn't the only one in the long term vision. I think the plant full plan is supposed to go up to 103 or 108 or something like that. I doubt they'll be rushing right into the next one though. Aren't they still working on harmonizing the baggage systems on the new and old sides of the airport?

I'll see if I can find something about the larger plan. I haven't seen it in years. Maybe @Nimbus knows, for he knows all!

EDIT: Looks like a major renovation for the old side is in the offing.

Big renos like this are underrated, the ones in the Vancouver Domestic Terminal and Pearson Terminal 3 have been nice.

Big renos like this are underrated, the ones in the Vancouver Domestic Terminal and Pearson Terminal 3 have been nice.

I couldn't agree more. I was in the Vienna airport a couple of summers ago, and it turns out that it's very similar to Calgary in terms of the number of flights and gates. They'd also recently completed a major expansion that added a new terminal. The new side was very nice and modern. The old side felt like a Safeway built in the late 80s and the connection between the two was barely an afterthought. The situation is no where near as bad in Calgary presently, but you can feel the difference. I'd appreciate what a renovation could bring to the old side.

EDIT: As an unrelated aside while trying to find details on the larger airport expansion plans I've come across the passenger movement statistics to the end of June for YYC. It looks like Calgary is poised to post solid growth this year.

http://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/factsfigures/passengerstatistics.aspx

upload_2018-8-15_10-27-21.png

upload_2018-8-15_10-28-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-15_10-27-21.png
    upload_2018-8-15_10-27-21.png
    377.8 KB · Views: 700
  • upload_2018-8-15_10-28-2.png
    upload_2018-8-15_10-28-2.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
What needs to happen also akin to YVR and Pearson is the airport becoming more of a center in its own right, YVR perhaps does this best with their Premium Outlets being linked to the terminal via Skytrain.

Recently connected at YYC and I might add that the YYC Link thing is totally useless should have bitten the bullet and built some sort of automated train, if you have a huge plane and 50 people are connecting its gonna take a long time to shuttle them in those Plus-sized gold carts.

Last edited:
IIRC the plan was to start with the link carts and eventually build in something more fixed. On the flip side, is a fixed train service really needed? Unless the airport is a large hub like ATL, or JFK, etc... it's not efficient to have a rail service to cater to the amount of connecting passengers at YYC. You could have a 50 person rail car going back and forth, but it would be empty most of the time. If the car leaves and misses some passengers, they have to wait a while for another car. If another car is available, great, but that's quite a waste of resources having two 50 person shuttles waiting around.
There's no reason the carts can't get the job done, and can even be more efficient.... it's more of a function of planning the carts better to suite the flight schedules. Each cart can carry up to 10 people, it's just a matter of having a few extra carts on hand.
What needs to happen also akin to YVR and Pearson is the airport becoming more of a center in its own right, YVR perhaps does this best with their Premium Outlets being linked to the terminal via Skytrain.

Recently connected at YYC and I might add that the YYC Link thing is totally useless should have bitten the bullet and built some sort of automated train, if you have a huge plane and 50 people are connecting its gonna take a long time to shuttle them in those Plus-sized gold carts.

Last edited:

Back