News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I think the opposition to the proposal is in large part due to the likely gentrification of Chinatown, which has already happened to many Chinatowns across North America. The fear is that shiny new condo towers bring about more shiny new condo towers. This drives out the low-income and seniors that currently call Chinatown home, which has helped form the unique culture that has resided in this area for the past 100 years. Some may call it grungy and run down, but Chinatown is one of the few areas in the CBD where you actually see people on weeknights and weekends.

I understand where the fear comes from but I think we certainly need to strike a balance whereby we see development and progress of Chinatown while preserving the vibrancy that exists today. The truth is that Chinatown has lost its way due to urban sprawl and the shifting of Asian themed shopping areas northwards along Centre Street where many immigrants now call home. The construction of condos to attract younger demographics and hotels to bring it tourists is the right step to ensure that Chinatown exists for another 100 years. An emphasis on retail is critical to maintain Chinatown as a destination in the city and I'm glad to see the proposals include a lot of consideration for wandering streets and a variety of storefronts and restaurants. It seems to me that there has been a lot of thought put in by P+W to integrate this building as best as possible into Chinatown and I really hope that it starts gaining more support.

I was initially opposed to the project (due to the scale, and not seeing any renderings), but they've scaled it down somewhat, and the design is better than the original massing showed. I agree with @Colinfill that Chinatown is one of the places downtown that has actual vibrancy, but this project might actually increase it if the retail portion is done properly.

Chinatown does have a lot of seniors housing right? Including one built just a few years back that kept the front of the church that was on the site. I think with that senior population there they need to also expand regular market options and I think a good mix of affordable housing too. Truly mix the neighbourhood and give it a bigger population base to support the existing retail and perhaps lead to more opening up. Help stop that crawl up Centre street that you mention @Colinfill. Make it a dense (not necessarily meaning just height) destination with lots of character and street life.

Chinatown proposal - great contextual design. I find the argument below hilarious - by this logic hotels shouldn't be built anywhere. The residential/hotel will definitely benefit retailers in the community. I don't think this development is overpowering either.

But Terry Wong with the Chinatown District Business Improvement Area still wasn't convinced it's the right fit for the community.

"Having a 150-room hotel, while it may benefit the city, it doesn't necessarily benefit the residents because they don't participate in the hotel," Wong said.

I'm totally fine with that. The modern section next to the old was kind of cool, but office space is far from in demand. I like the idea of redoing the original bldg only, it'll have some real character.

View attachment 151255

Yes! good shit, when else will you see character building loft conversions? not often at all. I am really happy this is going residential, their is limited stock of older buildings that would be great lofts and too many were converted to office. I would love to see this trend continue down 8th Avenue, where possible. The Gastownification of Stephen Ave would be cool, and might pump some real life into the core.

Has this project been mentioned yet? Currently the site home to RBC in Kensington. Not much in the way of information - but there's a board advertising the website at the site itself:

hellokensingston.com

This has potential. There's a few other midrise proposals adjacent to the strip - Kensington may have the most potential as an attractive BRZ due the layout. Hope to see retail extend outwards to most of the side streets.

Also, looks like BMO expansion may get started soon:

BMO Centre Expansion

Stampede CEO Warren Connell also announced the Stampede is moving forward with plans to expand the BMO Centre, at an expected cost of $500 million.

“We’re at a stage where it actually will be shovel-ready by the end of the year, so we could begin construction as soon as we have funding in place,” said Connell.

“That’s significant and unique to this city, because it’s beginning to start to take this city to become a Tier 1 convention and trade show facility.”

https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...-the-future-mark-end-of-2018-calgary-stampede

I don't mind how Chinatown is moving up Centre Street, the area of Downtown that makes up Chinatown is quite small so I think there is room to accommodate growth to the north. Is there any planning document from the city that guides the the Centre Street part of Chinatown?

I don't mind how Chinatown is moving up Centre Street, the area of Downtown that makes up Chinatown is quite small so I think there is room to accommodate growth to the north. Is there any planning document from the city that guides the the Centre Street part of Chinatown?
If all new developments along Centre street were done by Asian investors with Asian style designs,that section would eventually become another Chinatown. 16th and Centre could be the hub of a new Chinatown with brightly lit buildings on each corner and a train station below.

I'm loving the new Chinatown proposal! That pedestrian corridor could be similar to what Montreal has in their China town.

So happy to hear the Barron building is being converted to lofts and that stupid office addition has been shelved.

On a side note I will probably be visiting this site more now as the moderators at SSP seem to think I should be tarred with the same brush as the absolute worst bottom feeding trolls in the Calgary section. A decade I spent on that site only to be lumped in with the likes of BadGrizzly. W-T-F?!?!?

Last edited:
Unless you like pictures of port-a-potties and banter about designs of single family homes, SSP isn't for you anymore.

I'm loving the new Chinatown proposal! That pedestrian corridor could be similar to what Montreal has in their China town.

So happy to hear the Barron building is being converted to lofts and that stupid office addition has been shelved.

On a side note I will probably be visiting this site more now as the moderators at SSP seem to think I should be tarred with the same brush as the absolute worst bottom feeding trolls in the Calgary section. A decade I spent on that site only to be lumped in with the likes of BadGrizzly. W-T-F?!?!?

I can't believe how toxic SSP has become, it really is too bad. Welcome O-tac, look forward to your contributions here!
I’m not the least bit surprised. Right before I left SSP, I posted a couple of times that the issue is there are very few if any reasonable middle of the ground people left there. Only extreme types, but it’s those middle of road people who were providing all the information, updates, and the good discussion.

Of course nobody paid attention, because it’s SSP and and unless you’re starting an argument of some kind, nobody pays attention to anything people post.

Frankly, I don’t miss it one bit

Bingo! And none of those people contribute anything meaningful. Outside of 2 or 3 people, the only people left there are trolls and idiots.
When I posted those pics of 11th and 11th the other day, I thought about maybe posting them on SSP, but thought, why am I bothering?, there's nobody there worthy of them. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh, but it's true.
I’m not the least bit surprised. Right before I left SSP, I posted a couple of times that the issue is there are very few if any reasonable middle of the ground people left there. Only extreme types, but it’s those middle of road people who were providing all the information, updates, and the good discussion.

Of course nobody paid attention, because it’s SSP and and unless you’re starting an argument of some kind, nobody pays attention to anything people post.

Frankly, I don’t miss it one bit

Last edited:

Back