News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Last edited:
Oh it’s still that one. It’s crazy it’s sat for that long. It looks like mixed use. I know the economy was bad the last few years but it’s almost criminal for that entire block of 17th to have sat fenced off and vacant as it has all these years. Do you know if the funeral home is also slated to go?

It's similar to that extremely central lot on Edmonton's Whyte Ave that is, after decades, finally getting a development. Though it's fairly mediocre for such a prominent site. Hopefully the 17 Select proposal is re-imagined/improved a bit before it goes through.

I was sitting at the Analog Coffee on 17th by Thomkins park yesterday and wondering what it’s fate will be if Arlington Street owns the building and wants to redevelop it. I can’t think of another corner in the city where you can watch as many different types of people stroll by and feel like you’re in some Metropolitan world city.

If ASI’s goal is to make 17th ave more active and like St. Catherine’s in Montreal why would they choose the best corner of the area which already has character and tons of activity? Why not focus on worse areas like the myriad gravel parking lots, banks, suburban style fast food or failed projects like that whole block between 1st and 2nd street? I can’t think of a single scenario where they replace what is there now with something more vibrant or authentic.

That really is a great spot. From looking at the collection of properties that ASI acquired, it’s probably a combination of they’re trying to buy nearly every lot on 17th and those were the ones willing to sell. I don’t get the sense they are concerned about removing the character as in their mind they think they’re replacing it with some kind of new washed vibrant modern high rent character.

I was sitting at the Analog Coffee on 17th by Thomkins park yesterday and wondering what it’s fate will be if Arlington Street owns the building and wants to redevelop it. I can’t think of another corner in the city where you can watch as many different types of people stroll by and feel like you’re in some Metropolitan world city.

If ASI’s goal is to make 17th ave more active and like St. Catherine’s in Montreal why would they choose the best corner of the area which already has character and tons of activity? Why not focus on worse areas like the myriad gravel parking lots, banks, suburban style fast food or failed projects like that whole block between 1st and 2nd street? I can’t think of a single scenario where they replace what is there now with something more vibrant or authentic.

That's 100% my concern. I don't really have anything against the Arlington proposals for the most part, and I think the CEO's heart is in the right place, it's just too bad they are picking the block across from Analog as one of the sites. I wish it was the parcel with the KFC, or the one on 1st Street SW. Or the one right west of Fusion Sushi....that lot has been empty for 20 years.

I don’t get the sense they are concerned about removing the character as in their mind they think they’re replacing it with some kind of new washed vibrant modern high rent character.

That’s exactly the problem. New washed vibrant modern high rent character is bland and without character. Taking the old corner store building with all its’ charm and replacing it with some modern aseptic glass wall podium changes what feels like an anchor of the community into just another sterile building. I get their idea to increase density but not everywhere needs residential above retail. The dead zone of the area is the BMO building across the street.

Last edited:
That's 100% my concern. I don't really have anything against the Arlington proposals for the most part, and I think the CEO's heart is in the right place, it's just too bad they are picking the block across from Analog as one of the sites. I wish it was the parcel with the KFC, or the one on 1st Street SW. Or the one right west of Fusion Sushi....that lot has been empty for 20 years.

I 100% agree. Looking down the street at the podium being built for the Royal condos I’m not crazy about how it’s turning out. Block long buildings with unarticulated podiums feel alienating. What makes high streets like St. Catherine’s is the variety of smaller buildings. That stretch of small old houses next to the shoppers is half of what makes that area so unique. Giant podiums kill the human scale.

Oh it’s still that one? It’s crazy it’s sat for that long. It looks like mixed use. I know the economy was bad the last few years but it’s almost criminal for that entire block of 17th to have sat fenced off and vacant as it has all these years. Do you know if the funeral home is also slated to go?
Unfortunately the funeral home is separate.

I'm not a huge fan of the block long podiums either. I don't mind the one at 5th and 3rd because it's needed for a grocery store, same for the Royal. Because it has a Canadian Tire and a grocery store going in, I'm fine with it, but normally I prefer the collection of smaller individual stores.

I 100% agree. Looking down the street at the podium being built for the Royal condos I’m not crazy about how it’s turning out. Block long buildings with unarticulated podiums feel alienating. What makes high streets like St. Catherine’s is the variety of smaller buildings. That stretch of small old houses next to the shoppers is half of what makes that area so unique. Giant podiums kill the human scale.

I don't know the details so this all comments that follow are purely speculative - but Arlington's re-skinning of their office building at 17th and 5th Street SW looks to be beginning, starting with an enormous scaffold blocking all of National's patio. If there was proof they don't have a pulse on urban vibrancy of a retail street this is it- literally blocking the sun on a primary 17th Ave patio for the remainder of the summer :rolleyes:

I don't know the details so this all comments that follow are purely speculative - but Arlington's re-skinning of their office building at 17th and 5th Street SW looks to be beginning, starting with an enormous scaffold blocking all of National's patio. If there was proof they don't have a pulse on urban vibrancy of a retail street this is it- literally blocking the sun on a primary 17th Ave patio for the remainder of the summer :rolleyes:
This project baffles me. All along that stretch they we’re screaming bloody murder when the city was working on 17ave. It was killing their business. The city rushed to get that stretch done and stopped work elsewhere until September. Now they scaffold the entire patio of the National. Seems very hypocritical to me

Back