News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Experiences at other forums

Yeah Habanero it's me. Thought I'd give the Calgary section on here a try.

You won't regret it, this place is Cloud Nine by comparison.

Chadillac here btw :)

The reason I finally joined was the trolls in the Calgary section. It’s become openly hostile and unsatisfying to read anymore. That said this site doesn’t seem to have some of the broader threads I enjoy like SSP has.

The reason I finally joined was the trolls in the Calgary section. It’s become openly hostile and unsatisfying to read anymore. That said this site doesn’t seem to have some of the broader threads I enjoy like SSP has.
The site is still mostly focused on development and construction, but the broader subjects are coming along well. A year ago, there was almost no discussion of any kind outside of the buildings section, but lately it has been ramping up. I think in 6 months - a year the non development architecture discussion subjects will be similar to SSP.

Much better here, there's less ongoing discussion, but less trolls ruining it for everyone.
True. Less ongoing discussion in general, but I find more ongoing discussion in development and construction, etc.. here, which is more what I'm interested personally. I don't miss SSP a whole lot to be honest.

The site is still mostly focused on development and construction, but the broader subjects are coming along well. A year ago, there was almost no discussion of any kind outside of the buildings section, but lately it has been ramping up. I think in 6 months - a year the non development architecture discussion subjects will be similar to SSP.

I agree, we've been pretty consistent in adding to the urban realm discussions in the Stephen Avenue, First Street, Inglewood, Kensington threads, etc. As well, the economy and flames threads are particularly active and equally as illuminating.

Come here for the construction development stuff and SSP for the other topics. ;)

On a serious note, I think you made a smart choice joining in O-tac. At the moment there is more discussion at SSP in the 'broader threads', but it's mostly a half dozen threads (Green Line, Ring Road, Airport, Construction main thread, Roads general) Green line and Ring Road are project threads that will go away eventually, and one might as well write the obituary for the construction thread, as that one is done for good I think. The way this site gets maintained, and promoted and the members they have here, not to mention the way they are adding new members (and some really knowledgeable ones) regularly, tells me SSP is going the way of the Dodo bird.

Come here for the construction development stuff and SSP for the other topics. ;)
On a serious note, I think you made a smart choice joining in O-tac. At the moment there is more discussion at SSP in the 'broader threads', but it's mostly a half dozen threads (Green Line, Ring Road, Airport, Construction main thread, Roads general) Green line and Ring Road are project threads that will go away eventually, and one might as well write the obituary for the construction thread, as that one is done for good I think. The way this site gets maintained, and promoted and the members they have here, not to mention the way they are adding new members (and some really knowledgeable ones) regularly, tells me SSP is going the way of the Dodo bird.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with SSP. In my mind the construction section was the core of the site, and what made the other sections flourish and what kept them alive. The construction section is more or less dead now, and I don't see it making a comeback. Will it's death affect the other threads over time? Who knows. One thing worth mentioning is that this site is run by Urban Toronto and that format is very successful in Toronto. The SSP Toronto contingent is a fraction of the Urban Toronto contingent, and I suspect the same thing will happen here over time. Whatever the case may be, this is definitely the place to be for construction, development and architecture.

Welcome O-Tac. You won't regret it. It takes getting use to the different format, but once used to it, it's a great site.

Part of me still prefers the old SSP format (something akin to a comfortable shoe), but the lack of trolls and general squabbling here is worth it on it's own. That and photos that aren't taken with a potato.

Back