Votes: 5 25.0%
  • So So

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm liking the charcoal brick on the podium. Overall Ventus has turned out pretty good.

Looks good. The massing and how it relates to the neighbouring building is the only thing that bothers me. It would be better without the 2nd storey setback. Is it code to have a buffer for residential above retail?

Looks good. The massing and how it relates to the neighbouring building is the only thing that bothers me. It would be better without the 2nd storey setback. Is it code to have a buffer for residential above retail?

I agree with that. I know that it is code that you cannot have balconies over hanging a busy pedestrian street. In this case, the balconies are inverted into the building so they got aware with it being completely vertical. In the near future I don't see 17th Ave being as welcoming or livable as it is today. Many of the older single store buildings have been bought up by developers such as Arlingstreet who have big plans to demolish and re-build 4-5 storey blocks such the Ventus Block. I can see sunshine and shawdow issues for patios/restaurants being a problem.

I agree with that. I know that it is code that you cannot have balconies over hanging a busy pedestrian street. In this case, the balconies are inverted into the building so they got aware with it being completely vertical. In the near future I don't see 17th Ave being as welcoming or livable as it is today. Many of the older single store buildings have been bought up by developers such as Arlingstreet who have big plans to demolish and re-build 4-5 storey blocks such the Ventus Block. I can see sunshine and shawdow issues for patios/restaurants being a problem.

I hope the Arlington Street project never gets built. It's the diversity of those smaller buildings that give that block on 17th style. The Arlington project would kill the vibe.

I like the orange. I was expecting something bright, but this darker, burnt orange looks good. The coloured lighting at the base is funky, but to be honest I would prefer a soft warm white.

Thanks for those updates @IanBray it's nice to see it at night. I'm with Bkha......not sure I like the coloured LEDs. The up-lighting looks good. Simple white lighting on the LED strips looks more elegant.

I have to admit, I wasn't optimistic about the orange but I like it. It could also be because of the darkness at night, it'll be interesting to see what it looks like during the middle of the day.

I hope the Arlington Street project never gets built. It's the diversity of those smaller buildings that give that block on 17th style. The Arlington project would kill the vibe.

I agree. Arlington Street seem to have something against older buildings with character. They own the old Bank of Montreal on 8th i.e. Chicago Chophouse, and have plans to knock it down soon. They also own the old block of buildings that houses Commonwealth Bar & Nightclub. I'm sure that they have plans in place to knock those buildings down too for some cheap looking mid rise.

More pictures of the orange trim this time in daylight.
IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    889.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG