Brentwood Commons | 85m | 24s | Casola Koppe

I know, such a cliche kind of name. It might change as time goes along, but I'm not holding my breath. I would rather they call it Brentwood Station, it 's cliche too, but at least it's beside the Brentwood Station, so it does fit the bill.
Brentwood station might be cliche but I would b e fine with that.

A few more updated figures regarding the buildings.

Building One (Condo)
38 Floors, 145.9m

Building Two (Rentals)
21 floors, 73.6m

Building Three (Condo)
11 floors, 42.2m

Building four (Office Space)
4 floors

2017 Jan 27 030.JPG

Attachments

• 2017 Jan 27 030.JPG
    2017 Jan 27 030.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 695
That's awesome :)

Great update. Thanks SP. I think Brentwood Common has jumped up to number 1 on my wish list of unstarted projects. The height is what really excites me. I hope it serves as precident for projects outside the downtown core. I think University City has turned out really well and that Brentwood Commons could be another big step forward for the area's redevelopment. I really hope it doesn't get cut down to size by the local NIMBYs. If anything doesn't survive the planning phase I hope it's the name, but even that doesn't really offend me.

EDIT for more shower thoughts on Brentwood:

I get that Brentwood station is important commuters and that there would be riots if they took away the parking lot, but I'd like to see the developments transition across Crowchild as well and start to flow in with the University Rearch Park. Perhaps if they built a parking structure that conserves most of the parking space for Brentwood while taking up less surface area the could make room for some interesting stuff West of the highway as well.

Last edited:
Note that IBI Group, who is listed in the thread name, is NOT involved in this project. Architect is Riddell Kurczaba.
You are correct indeed. I even had that in my notes, but was looking at another project by IBI at the same time.

Welcome Johnpaulo107. Are you involved with the project?

Last edited:
Great update. Thanks SP. I think Brentwood Common has jumped up to number 1 on my wish list of unstarted projects. The height is what really excites me. I hope it serves as precident for projects outside the downtown core. I think University City has turned out really well and that Brentwood Commons could be another big step forward for the area's redevelopment. I really hope it doesn't get cut down to size by the local NIMBYs. If anything doesn't survive the planning phase I hope it's the name, but even that doesn't really offend me.

EDIT for more shower thoughts on Brentwood:

I get that Brentwood station is important commuters and that there would be riots if they took away the parking lot, but I'd like to see the developments transition across Crowchild as well and start to flow in with the University Rearch Park. Perhaps if they built a parking structure that conserves most of the parking space for Brentwood while taking up less surface area the could make room for some interesting stuff West of the highway as well.

The urban design and architecture leaves a lot to be desired here. That is one tall tower. This is a step down from University City which has turned out very nice.

The urban design and architecture leaves a lot to be desired here. That is one tall tower. This is a step down from University City which has turned out very nice.

I like that the grocery store/condo are right at the pedestrian bridge (instead of across the parking lot) with a direct path to Blakiston Park or University City. What more would you do for urban design?

Redistribute the density with actual blocks divided by public streets. Make it feel more like a community than a strip mall with two large towers plopped on top. I like consistency in the built form. I'm a firm believer height should reflect density. This is low to medium rise density made 500 feet tall.

Ok, but the there's a park on one side and a highway/c-train on the other. I would probably do away with surface parking, but I'm not sure what could realistically be done in the context.

This is interesting feedback on the project for sure.

Just for some added context, there are some site constraints that influence the design. For example, all the Co-op services need to stay open until each service's replacement is built (as well as two of the major tenants) which requires a phased construction approach. The Co-op also needs to maintain surface parking for shoppers. There will be underground parking but some surface parking has to remain.

Initial concepts had the density more spread out however it created too much shadowing on the park. The design most recent show above (although use labels are not necessarily correct) puts the bulk of density closest to the LRT and has the least amount of shadowing on the park and neighbourhood.

Thanks for the update Laurenator. Surface parking was the only concern I had, but was wondering about that due to the set up. I'm fine with the rest of the design.

Thanks for the update Laurenator. Surface parking was the only concern I had, but was wondering about that due to the set up. I'm fine with the rest of the design.

Yeah I'm not fond of what it does to the design, but I think it's a necessary conceit when you consider that the area in question is still in fact suburban and that the co-op will still need to serve thousands of people outside of practical walking distance.

I just hate the idea of surface parking in any high density development like this. It looks straight out of Edmonton. I do love to the towers though.

Didn't realize we don't have a thread for the Brentwood Co-op redevelopment yet. The project was amended significantly last summer though. It's still not ideal, but much better. So here are the updates!

31 storeys, 23 storeys, 12 storeys, 5 storeys, and 1 storey.

Updated-boards-Page-002.jpg

Updated-boards-Page-003.jpg

Updated-boards-Page-007.jpg

Updated-boards-Page-006.jpg

http://brentwoodcommons.ca/project-details/

Attachments

• Updated-boards-Page-002.jpg
    Updated-boards-Page-002.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 688
Last edited by a moderator:

Back