News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Who are you?

Alex_YYC

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am a relatively new member myself, and I have noticed a few other new members since I joined. I'm curious to know a little more about my fellow members.

So, a little bit about myself. I live and work in the inner city and have always spent a lot of my time around inner-city areas. Total Nenshi supporter :)

I found this site while googling information for the Royal development that is going on in Mount Royal Village.

I've lived most of my life in Calgary and love the city. Even in a bad economy, there are so many things going on, and so many things to look forward to.

I'm Dave, and I'm originally from Saskatchewan. I've been here for 20 years now and will probably stay for good. I don't always bike around town as my name suggests, but do a fair bit of it on weekends or in the evening. Found this site through twitter.

Just joined myself last week. Grew up in Strathmore but have spent a lot of time in Calgary over the years!

Right now, I'm in Saskatoon for 2/3 of the year as an Urban Planning student at the U of S. I'm well into my second year now and loving it. The ultimate goal is to graduate and come back and work in Calgary. Really excited to come back at Christmas and see what's new. I wish I could contribute more pictures as I am into photographing the city but I guess I'll have to wait until the summer.

I don't remember how I found this forum, reddit maybe? Very glad I did though. :)

I was born, raised and educated in Calgary and now I'm happily employed and soon to married here too. The long term plan is to have kids, retire and die here as well. :p Calgary is the only place that will ever be home for me. If I ever find myself living anywhere else, it will only be a temporary state of affairs. There's no way I could survive away from here.

I mostly grew up in the 1990s. It was kind of a static time for the city. There was the Petro Canada Centre loomed unchallenged over everything. I didn't really pay much attention to downtown then. It was just sorta there. A few things happened over time that eventually forced me to take notice. The first was when the Catholic school board took over the old steel hulk at the west end of Downetown to build their new office building. It was the first time I can vividly remember a new building. The second was when Bankers Hall was twinned. That was the first really big building project I could remember. The final thing was a standup comic on TV one time, who must have done his show in Calgary. He was saying what a beautiful skyline Calgary had, but that something was off about it. He was making fun of how the Calgary Tower isn't quite the right height. I had a good laugh, but it struck me that it was the first time I'd really heard of anyone from out of town remark on our city. From then on I became more appreciative of our downtown and when the 2000s building boom hit it was easy to make the move from fan to fanatic.

If you look on a world map, Calgary is usually way up in the top left hand corner. If you didn't know any better, and many don't, you'd think it was some backwater. Eastern jibes aside, it really isn't, it a dynamic and urbanizing city. I've really loved the pace of change. We've almost double in population since I was born and the city now lies at the heart of a metropolitan area connecting hundreds of thousands more people. Airdrie has something like sextupled or more in my life time. Buildings, highways, trains new towns and cities. It's been so cool to watch the city grow. As I've gotten older and had more opportunity to travel. I've really gotten to see how our city is great, but how much greater it can still be. So every new building or over pass or whatever feels like a goal for the home team. The progress is addicting. Telus Sky, Part Point and the Green Line are the things I am anticipating most right now. And I'll probably actually explode if Calgary hosts the Olympics again.

Until I found this site, it was usually hard to stay up to date on what was coming down the pipe. I like how SRC has pretty much everything in one place. You here at the forum give great pictures and updates and now the new Calgary page has news and updates all in one spot. I'm here pretty much every day now. :D So nice meeting you all!

Great idea for a thread. I totally missed this one.

Grew up in Calgary and have lived here most of my life. I'm going to make myself sound like a nerd, but I have been interested in skyscrapers since I was in Junior High school.....yes, it's true. I am that much of a nerd. A trip up to the Dome tower where my aunt worked got me hooked on skyscrapers. I doodled skylines in junior high, and drew skylines in high school drafting class. Later I used computers to create digital art skylines, and I have always taken pics of skylines over the years.

These days I still like skyscrapers, but I'm interested in the general urban development of Calgary.

Interesting comment by Oddball 'As I've gotten older and had more opportunity to travel. I've really gotten to see how our city is great, but how much greater it can still be.' This is much the same for me too. The more I travel, the more I see things that would be good for Calgary, but I also find myself appreciating Calgary more.

Hi All,

I Have Lived in Calgary Since May 78. Long Time. As it Works its born in Nova Scotia, (2 Yrs) 1 Yr in quebec, 3 Yrs in S.W.Ontario - Near Chatham, 25 Yrs in quebec. In April 78 I Took a Wild Chance with the Help of
Associates Moved to Canada - Calgary. Been here ever since. My Interests are Trains/Rail Dispatching - Learned the Art of T T & T O/Interlocking/C T C Dispatching in My 20s. Other Interests are Tnspt/Transit, Real
Estate and Construction. 4 Yrs Appraisels in Mtl taught Me Real Estate and Construction. Did 4 Yrs in Construction and then got into Courier as a Biker then Driver and NEVER LOOKED BACK. My Tnspt Interests Taught
ME the Petro Chemical/Oil/Gas, Service Industry, Forestry, Resource Mining, Potash, Sulphur, Agriculture etc. Courier Work Got Me Back into Tnspt, Real Estate & Construction and Learn What Calgary, Alberta plus
Western/Northern Canada are ALL About. This is MY HOME. I have NO REGRETS now. Its Been a Lot of Fun

Thanks,
Operater.

Hi Group,
I Don't say Much but I am a "Diabetic Type Two" Person. Got Sick about 3 Years Ago. I am Restricted about where I can Go or Do things as a Rule. I try to use My Knowledge/History about Calgary to help the Group out. Its My Way of Paying Back. Hope it helps us all out.
From this Site funny as it Sounds, I am still Learning things about Calgary. Have a LOT of POSITIVE FEELINGS on Calgary and even if it gets Rough and sure Were in Depression its My Views, Calgary has what it takes to Bounce Back and B the Great Place in Western Canada.
Looking Forword to Calgary"s Economic Growth in a lot of Positive Ways because WE have what it Takes to B a Great City. GO CALGARY.

Tnx
Operater.

Hey folks. Migrating here from SSP, where I'm a long time contributor (I've gone by Boris up to this point). Hello to Surreal and all of you who know me so well already.

I was born in Edmonton and have lived in Calgary since '94. I got big into cities back in high school after I took a big trip down the West Coast, and spent hundreds of hours tinkering in games like SimCity 4 after that. I was a contributor over at Simtropolis (then the biggest SimCity fan site, not sure if that's the case today) before I got dragged over to various skyscraper forums. Professionally, I have worked in planning but am moving more towards architecture nowadays.

Hi Again,
NOT Sure if This is the Right Place BUT its Worth a Try. How Good are the Chances of Having a Group Picnic or Get Together at a Resturant, Park or What Ever to Meet Up and Get to Know Who We all Are? I admit I Don't Have Any wheels but I Like the Ideas of Meeting Up. Comments Anyone?
Tnx,
Operater.

I'm 30. Born in Ottawa, moved to Calgary as a toddler and grew up there, went to university at Queens, came home summers, traveled a lot and moved home to Calgary after graduation, did a couple more degrees at UofC, worked or lived in every quadrant, avid cyclist and transit user since high school. I'm also pretty interested in council minutes and live music. 2 years ago I moved to Toronto (wife's job) where I still live now and plan to stay for the indefinite future. I like Toronto, but miss Calgary. It's nice to see how the city changes a bit every time I got home to see family. Calgary's bike infrastructure is way better than Toronto but Toronto has so many people there's a safety-in-numbrrs thing here. Toronto has me fascinated with how real estate and political inaction shapes cities. Seriously though, it's starting to grow on me, especially as I explore more by bike and take weekends for canoe trips. Climate here, though not as sunny, is also much warmer. Great to learn about you all. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey folks. Migrating here from SSP, where I'm a long time contributor (I've gone by Boris up to this point). Hello to Surreal and all of you who know me so well already.

I was born in Edmonton and have lived in Calgary since '94. I got big into cities back in high school after I took a big trip down the West Coast, and spent hundreds of hours tinkering in games like SimCity 4 after that. I was a contributor over at Simtropolis (then the biggest SimCity fan site, not sure if that's the case today) before I got dragged over to various skyscraper forums. Professionally, I have worked in planning but am moving more towards architecture nowadays.
Welcome Zodd! ;)

I'm also fairly new to this site. Although for the past decade I have on and off always checked into SSC and SSP because I've always had a fascination with cities, skylines, populations and infrastructure. I attribute that to growing up in Cochrane and always being amazed with the growth of Calgary every time I drove into the city, that and in my opinion Calgary's skyline punches way above it's weight. I've been into cities for as long as I can remember, when I was a kid I used to take maps of cities and add to them, or even design maps of my own cities (one of which was 36 total pieces of 8.5" x 11" piece of paper in total size, the goal was to make a city as large as Tokyo) or build cities out of lego that spanned the entire floor of my room, I was also big into the Sim City games when I used to game. I work up North so I fly a lot, not just to Calgary but to other cities around North America and I always ensure I have a window seat as I love looking at cities from the air. I often wonder what is chemically going on in my brain that I have such an affinity for cities. I love checking out google earth and being that I work up North and sit on a computer during most my time at work I spend a lot of time on sites like this or googling stuff on populations, demographics, skylines, geography and such. I usually don't come on here when I'm at home so I always look forward to getting caught up when I get back to work. I know it's not sustainable but I have this inherent wish that wants to see Calgary continue to build high and grow out as well, love seeing the city boom.

Anyways, thanks for the hospitality,
Jesse

Back