Votes: 2 6.3%
  • From Facebook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • From Google

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
SSP was already going downhill ( due to some morons who’s names I won’t mention) but after Surreal and Chaddillac and some others left it went downhill super fast.
All the other good contributors are here now, so it’s like SSP back when it was good.

From SSP. I hung around SSP for a while even when it was bad, and was even vocally against coming over here, but one day I read through the posts at SSP, and thought to myself, why am I hanging onto this place? Almost all the people left were idiots. It was time to move on, and I don't regret it. It seems like all the good ones came here and the morons stayed there.

I was an avid follower of UrbanToronto before moving to Calgary 3 years ago.

I'm another arrival from UrbanToronto (hence why my join date predates the creation of SkyriseCities). I moved to Calgary from Toronto in 2015 and briefly started lurking on SSP, but recognized the issues with that forum. I was happy when UrbanToronto expanded to other cities and started frequenting this forum immediately.

As an aside, it's so much nicer to follow development in Calgary than Toronto these days. Seeing what's happened to Marda Loop in the last 5 years is really amazing! Meanwhile, in my old 'hood in Toronto, half a block of Victorian commercial buildings were just demolished to make room for the world's most generic office tower. I joined UrbanToronto in the 2000s when it was cool to see all the surface parking lots getting redeveloped in the core. There are still some exciting developments like that these days (e.g. The Well, CIBC Square). However, so many projects in Toronto seem to be doing more damage than good in terms of reducing the vibrancy and human-scale of the streets. I've basically stopped following UrbanToronto.

SSP was already going downhill ( due to some morons who’s names I won’t mention) but after Surreal and Chaddillac and some others left it went downhill super fast.
All the other good contributors are here now, so it’s like SSP back when it was good.
SSP in it's heydey was a fantastic place, there were a ton of super knowledgeable people there and it seemed like every day there was a new exciting project. I can't even go there anymore, the Calgary thread is pretty much dead and the Canada section is so anti-Alberta it's getting toxic. I definitely enjoy this forum more now, but it's still nothing compared to SSP Calgary at it's peak.

SSP in it's heydey was a fantastic place, there were a ton of super knowledgeable people there and it seemed like every day there was a new exciting project. I can't even go there anymore, the Calgary thread is pretty much dead and the Canada section is so anti-Alberta it's getting toxic. I definitely enjoy this forum more now, but it's still nothing compared to SSP Calgary at it's peak.
I must have missed the peak at SSP. I went to the site a few years ago and there was nothing there.

I have different memories TBH. At its peak SSP was good, but I don’t remember a ton of super knowledgeable people. I find today’s version better for knowledge, and I also see more developers on this site. There was one guy Josh who used to be on SSP, and I think he’s here under a different user, but that’s the one guy I miss seeing regular posts from.

The old site in it’s heyday was more with more projects for sure, I mean the city had 75 cranes at one point.

There were quite a few things I didn’t like about the other site though, even in its heyday at its best it was hard to keep up with information as everything was all in one thread

There were pros and cons with SSP, even in its when it was its best. I liked the construction general thread as it was kind of a good bullshit session type thread , but it was also a down fall as it was so hard to keep up with information as everything was all in one thread. There was so much superfluous information one had to sort through. To be honest I don’t really miss the old site even when it was at its best.

I knd of agree. I find the overall knowledge level is better here at any time past or present. There were some great contributors at SSP. Two regular contributors that I miss: Josh White and Furry Canuck\Rusty. Josh always had great information on city politics and development, and Rusty had great takes on the food and coffee scene. Aside from that, I find that the everyone together as a group is more knowledgeable here. I could be wrong, but there aren't any idiots here. I can't think of one person who is.

I have different memories TBH. At its peak SSP was good, but I don’t remember a ton of super knowledgeable people. I find today’s version better for knowledge, and I also see more developers on this site. There was one guy Josh who used to be on SSP, and I think he’s here under a different user, but that’s the one guy I miss seeing regular posts from.

The old site in it’s heyday was more with more projects for sure, I mean the city had 75 cranes at one point.

There were quite a few things I didn’t like about the other site though, even in its heyday at its best it was hard to keep up with information as everything was all in one thread

There were pros and cons with SSP, even in its when it was its best. I liked the construction general thread as it was kind of a good bullshit session type thread , but it was also a down fall as it was so hard to keep up with information as everything was all in one thread. There was so much superfluous information one had to sort through. To be honest I don’t really miss the old site even when it was at its best.

The peak was probably back in 2009 or somewhere around there.

I agree. Calgary's peak development was around 2004 to 2008 so SSP had much news to debate. Can't believe that I first encountered that site in 1999. Obscure trivia: much of the original Calgary traffic onto SSP linked from a smaller site focusing solely on Calgary development. The administer of that site was current Global News correspondent Jackson Proskow. He was a SAIT student at the time. His SSP ID was BroadcastBoy. I only attended one Calgary former meetup, back in December 1999 at a restaurant in Chinatown. SSP nosedived after about 2012.

Back