News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Walking in Calgary

kora

Member Bio
Reaction score
I looked at 2016 StatsCan Census data for walking in Calgary's greater downtown (including Eau Claire, West End, Chinatown, East Village, Beltline, Mission)

37% of trips to work are made by walking with a range of 31-46%, depending on census tract.

I looked at 2016 StatsCan Census data for walking in Calgary's greater downtown (including Eau Claire, West End, Chinatown, East Village, Beltline, Mission)

37% of trips to work are made by walking with a range of 31-46%, depending on census tract.
Makes sense. Calgary is set up well for walking to work with such a higher number of jobs right in the core, and Beltline, Mission etc... right next to it. I bet a fair number come from Sunnyside/Hillhurst, and few from Bridgeland also.

Makes sense. Calgary is set up well for walking to work with such a higher number of jobs right in the core, and Beltline, Mission etc... right next to it. I bet a fair number come from Sunnyside/Hillhurst, and few from Bridgeland also.

I looked at the census tracts surrounding the downtown. I think walk commute rates can be used as a proxy for how "downtown" a neighbourhood is.

The highest walking commute rate is in the census tract (CT) of Cliff Bungalow, Lower Mount Royal and northern Upper Mount Royal at 30%.

Next highest at 26% is the CT of Sunnyside, Rosedale and west Crescent Heights.

The lowest walk commute rates of between 8-12% are a bit of a surprise. They are the 4 CTs that comprise Inglewood, Ramsay, east Bankview, and Sunalta/Scarboro.

I looked at the census tracts surrounding the downtown. I think walk commute rates can be used as a proxy for how "downtown" a neighbourhood is.

The highest walking commute rate is in the census tract (CT) of Cliff Bungalow, Lower Mount Royal and northern Upper Mount Royal at 30%.

Next highest at 26% is the CT of Sunnyside, Rosedale and west Crescent Heights.

The lowest walk commute rates of between 8-12% are a bit of a surprise. They are the 4 CTs that comprise Inglewood, Ramsay, east Bankview, and Sunalta/Scarboro.
I would have thought Sunnyside would be higher, I see so many people walking home from work at the end of the day. Nice to see Beltline, etc.. up as high as 46% that's a good high number.

I walked the newly completed International Avenue from 52 St SE to Inglewood. Overnight, it's become Calgary's widest urban sidewalk, especially on the south side of the street. Walking has become much more pleasant in Forest Lawn. The best stretch is from 36 Street to 52 Street. The portion west of 36 Street suffers from some poor intersections where pedestrians are expected to cross at unusual locations, which of course, they won't. This unfortunate design will endanger pedestrians and result in more collisions.

The bus rapid transit bridge over Deerfoot Trail is a great addition for pedestrians and cyclists. During my long walk across Deerfoot Trail from Forest Lawn to Inglewood I noticed around 20 cyclists, but no other pedestrians. It's still a new piece of infrastructure.

Overall, this is a great addition to the city, in a usually underfunded part of Calgary.

Was impressed by the changes there the last time I drove through. Not sure how much walking I'll do in that area though...

Back