News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban farming in Calgary

ˆˆˆ
planning for a perennial fruit forest - front/backyard in a tight /small urban yard
from the article:
<snip>This article is an introduction to the gardening technique of Backyard Orchard Culture – a system of high density planting of fruit trees which allows for a wide variety of fruit to be grown in a limited space, and harvested over a prolonged period of time.<endsnip>

Bear in mind that the author is in Melbourne. That said, almost all of the authors observations apply in Calgary.

source:
https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/backyard-orchard-culture/
Well worth a read.

ˆˆˆ
Building on the above while still adhering to the principles of KISS and cheap.
Below is a good video from a trusted source. Just over 11 minutes. Although he's in England much of his advice applies here.

Sometime ago I promised to feature my favorite sources.

He resides in Maryland Zone 7 and he has four seasons. He's also science based. He has a longer growing season with high humidity and higher temperatures. His zone is susceptible fungal diseases of all kinds which he demonstrates and proposes remedies. His videos are dense, pointed.

He's just moved to a two acre plot and thus is starting all over. I know, I know, that it's huge relative to a Calgary lot. That said, he'll have much to teach since he's starting over with a wealth of experience.
Just bear in mind that we are zone 4a.

This was not my initial plan but he needs coverage.

Robert Pavlis, master gardener, author, blogger, science based, 45 years experience. Zone 5, Guelph ON
He covers gardening overall, not just vegetables.

YouTube channel: Garden Fundamentals

Not quite urban farming, but it feels so good to have gotten my gardens ready for spring today! :D Front gardens are pictured, and shovelled the rent of the snow off my back vegetable gardens too :) (unpictured)

North Garden - before and after

South Garden - before and after

Attachments

• IMG_6054.JPG
    IMG_6054.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 466
Started my veggies today! Carrots, beans, peas, green onions, and cucumber! ☺️

My veggies are growing like crazy! Think I might plant them next weekend or sometime the week after.

I miss the days of having a garden. I still do the odd tomato pot but a full on garden is nice.

I do outdoor gardening.

Back