News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I think it was Stuart Dagleish.

So this new guy does have decades of experience, but I'm not sure I'm exited about the minds behind urban planning in the Carolinas, or Atlanta, or Boise... Maybe I don't understand the job, though.

I think it was Stuart Dagleish.

So this new guy does have decades of experience, but I'm not sure I'm exited about the minds behind urban planning in the Carolinas, or Atlanta, or Boise... Maybe I don't understand the job, though.
Fair, but if you read about his experience in Atlanta he was brutally honest about how that city had a lot of work to do to become more liveable. He certainly seems to be an urbanist, pro-density, and an advocate for placemaking and smarter growth.

An LoC by O2 to take out the trailer trash "ContainR" art project in SunnySide.

1708144893075.png

I thought this site was owned by the City of Calgary? Maybe this will be for a new affordable housing project by the City or they are finally planning on flipping the land to the private sector and want to upzone first?
Could be. They've been talking about it for a while, and now is as good a time as any to build another affordable housing project.

I thought this site was owned by the City of Calgary? Maybe this will be for a new affordable housing project by the City or they are finally planning on flipping the land to the private sector and want to upzone first?
The site was a Calgary Board of Education warehouse.

1708199639179.png

And has been owned by the city for a while.

It was offered for sale with some interesting restrictions: the city buying back a portion of the units as affordable rentals. https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/www/realestate/documents/sunnysidetod/brochure-sunnysidetod.pdf

Last edited:
Has there been any news about the Olympic Plaza redesign?
My understanding was that the new design was to be revealed this winter and the teardown of the current plaza to begin in spring. But I haven't heard a peep about it.

Has there been any news about the Olympic Plaza redesign?
My understanding was that the new design was to be revealed this winter and the teardown of the current plaza to begin in spring. But I haven't heard a peep about it.
Is it a total overhaul of the existing plaza or just sprucing things up a bit ?

Be a shame to lose the mature trees and the plaza seems fine overall IMO

Is it a total overhaul of the existing plaza or just sprucing things up a bit ?

Be a shame to lose the mature trees and the plaza seems fine overall IMO
The trees block viewpoints of sections of the park which results in area's of the park not being safe. Also a lot of the infrastructure in the park is likely original and badly in need of an overhaul..

I am no arborist, so don't know if this is possible, but could you not just prune the bottom 10' of the fir trees, eliminating the sightline issues? Allows the ability to retain the precious few mature trees we have, but eliminates the problem?

Back