News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Design is pretty abysmal to be honest. I don't care about cheap materials - which are inevitable - but a complete disdain for how the future residents will be able to connect to where they want to go in any semblance of a direct or quality walking connection is impressive here. Another example of where it's not entirely the development's fault, but they certainly aren't bringing much to the table to help.

It's the type of development that helps the city overall stats only because it's not built in the literal middle of nowhere like some fringe developments. But that's about all it does that's positive. I am usually pretty pro-density and forgiving to design quirks but this one really doesn't make sense and is a net loss.
Same here. I care less about the building and it's design than I do about the overall setup. The buildings themselves aren't actually much different than say, Catalyst or WestUrban37, but those buildings are improving the urban fabric of the city, and can be a positive place for people to live.
For this one, the location is a challenge to start with thanks to the way the area is designed, but as you've pointed out the general design is making it even worse. Density gone bad.

Design is pretty abysmal to be honest. I don't care about cheap materials - which are inevitable - but a complete disdain for how the future residents will be able to connect to where they want to go in any semblance of a direct or quality walking connection is impressive here. Another example of where it's not entirely the development's fault, but they certainly aren't bringing much to the table to help.

Issues:
  • No route is direct between any building entrance and and the surroundings you might want to go to.
  • Building orientations block all direct routes from the intersection, while also cutting off the direct parking lot pathway to superstore. In this way not only does it make it inefficient for future residents to access grocery and transit, it also makes it less efficient for every person in the surround neighbourhoods too that lose a direct pathway.
  • Inward focused parking courtyard and outward facing arterial roads means constant traffic noise and circulation at all times, on all sides. All sidewalks within the site are 1.5m only. Surface parking everywhere, on and off the site.

View attachment 531119

View attachment 531116

Given the level of design at work here, they probably couldn't have made a bigger traffic generator if they tried. It's car-oriented, awkwardly dense, huge amount of parking, contributes to a largely anti-pedestrian context minus a grocery store and LRT at a hefty distance away.

It's the type of development that helps the city overall stats only because it's not built in the literal middle of nowhere like some fringe developments. But that's about all it does that's positive. I am usually pretty pro-density and forgiving to design quirks but this one really doesn't make sense and is a net loss.
I completely agree. I've lived the majority of my life around this area and have seen it get worse, as the population has boomed. It is frustrating that they've never considered adding an entrance/exit along the 64 ave side. Just adding the exit and mini ramp along those areas would drastically change the area from the vehicle sewer fest it is right now.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 5.41.57 PM.png

Anyone know what the deal is with TelusSky these days? The light display has only been active for a handful of days since November and the days it's on appear to be random. Maintainance/reliability issues, tenants complaining or just a move to save power and money at a time of high rates?

I imagine Hannover Place would be a great choice for a conversion - fairly low floor to ceiling heights and small floorplates, which make it a sub-optimal office building these days but a good choice for residential. Also combined with Telus Sky it might create enough of a critical mass of residents in the immediate vicinity to stimulate more retail in that area. Would be great to see some of those retail bays on 7th reactivated now that Stephen Avenue Quarter is dead.

Would be nice to see a conversion there. The location is great for apartments.
not to be adversarial but what makes this a good location to live? the beltline, bridgeland and kensington are good places, this seems like a terrible place to live imho. I never informed myself but just assume telus sky is a hard sell based on location alone.

I guess it's a good place on paper to live without a car - you have the train right there, Stephen Ave for shopping, river/Prince's Island park nearby, East Village and also Chinatown for groceries. But, not my idea of a neighbourhood and would have the wrong kind of street life on evenings and weekends.
Kind of a downtown New York (office towers and some nearby things) compared to the Beltline being midtown (culture and entertainment) and Eau Claire being the Upper West Side (parks and higher-end buildings).

F
not to be adversarial but what makes this a good location to live? the beltline, bridgeland and kensington are good places, this seems like a terrible place to live imho. I never informed myself but just assume telus sky is a hard sell based on location alone.
All fair points, but if you think about being within walking distance of pretty much everything inner city, this ticks all the boxes. Right on the LRT, a block to Stephen Ave or Chinatown, a short walk to Eau Claire and the riverfront pathways, even Beltline and Saddledome are a comfortable walk.

I think the biggest challenge with converting that particular building to residential is the 60 storey tower immediately across the lane that will block most of your sunlight...

I think what makes Hannover Place a good location is proximity to the offices nearby, as well as the LRT, Stephen Ave, Chinatown and the river pathway.
It’s a good central location. It’s a bit of a concrete jungle compared to the beltline, but I can see some people liking this spot.
Edit: basically what Albertosaurus already said.

This would be a great location! 1 block off the Ctrain, 2 blocks from Stephen Ave, easy access to Kensington and Bridgeland, 10 minute walk from the EV Superstore.What more do you need?

Back