News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

As I saw someone state on Twitter... when housing is a top issue that might either win or lose you the next election, why waste your big announcements for the end of August when nobody is paying attention? Whatever gets rolled out will be given a lot of fanfare and happen when the House is back in session to guarantee maximum press coverage and maximum politicking to go with it. Maybe they'll use the time to do some in-depth analysis too 😄

I don't recall seeing this rendering for Eau Claire Place II conversion. I don't know if they plan on changing the color as shown in the rendering or not, but it would be nice to go from the 80's brown to a lighter off-white.

eau-claire-place-ii-building.jpg

As I saw someone state on Twitter... when housing is a top issue that might either win or lose you the next election, why waste your big announcements for the end of August when nobody is paying attention? Whatever gets rolled out will be given a lot of fanfare and happen when the House is back in session to guarantee maximum press coverage and maximum politicking to go with it. Maybe they'll use the time to do some in-depth analysis too 😄
Also think it's just a no-win issue. There is no ability for this government to put this back in the bottle. Not only are homes tied up in the wealth of most Canadians, most of our largest cities are financed by land transfer taxes. Someone posted about Toronto doing parking levies and increasing the land transfer tax because Toronto is bankrupt. Increasing more and more taxes would only discourage selling. When you sell your home to downsize, you immediately lose value to taxes on both transactions. We are addicted to real estate as a country not to mention a majority of MPs of both parties are landlords. The only thing that would change affordability is if we hit a genuine recession with significant job losses for high wage earners (more likely to be homeowners), which is driven by market forces and interest rates more than any government policy.

In BC they even rebate property taxes back with revenue from the property transfer tax.

The simple solution is eliminating them and raising property taxes but that doesn't make most happy.

It is emblematic about our situation, this is blaming someone else, and refusing to take responsibility, while discouraging filtering (which relieves property price pressure). Tweaking the real estate market in a little way, which isn't a huge deal. But then we layer 50 of these tweaks and they add up and break things!

Work has begun on the Lycée Français de Calgary school in Garrison Woods (DP2022-08776). I'm a big fan, and as a resident, to this I say Bonjour!

Bird's view (or Global 1 view; if you live in the area you know what I mean) from the NW
1693329945041.png

East Elevation
1693329955832.png

West Elevation
1693329961310.png

West Courtyard
1693329966284.png

Last edited:

Back