News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

By the way, has this one been discussed yet? Renderings just went up on site on the corner of Spruce Drive SW and Bow Trail.

Closer to Home Community Services

https://www.closertohomeproject.com/project-background

Closer to Home Community Services has been working for over five years on a purpose-built facility that will house a publicly accessible and highly visible vibrant Community Hub to serve over 30 communities in West-Central Calgary.

25eb3d_3a5272cc6cbb41d9aae370aabab5868b~mv2.jpg

25eb3d_3d7b9333f5964018b93bb46eadc7dcab~mv2.jpg

25eb3d_70b38035cbfe449799eb99768b6bbf5f~mv2.jpg

That lagoon gets quite gross, it's full of pooping geese and ducks lol.
I think the lagoon with a beach would be okay if the water had a faster flow through. They could keep it controlled like they have today, but allow more water to go through, it would help keep the duck and geese out....hopefully.

By the way, has this one been discussed yet? Renderings just went up on site on the corner of Spruce Drive SW and Bow Trail.

Closer to Home Community Services

https://www.closertohomeproject.com/project-background

25eb3d_3a5272cc6cbb41d9aae370aabab5868b~mv2.jpg

25eb3d_3d7b9333f5964018b93bb46eadc7dcab~mv2.jpg

25eb3d_70b38035cbfe449799eb99768b6bbf5f~mv2.jpg

Yep, see the thread here:

Looks like they're swinging for the fences on this one. Probably looking to leverage the future Green Line.

This application proposes to change the designation of these properties to allow for:
  • mixed-use buildings (e.g. commercial store fronts with apartments above)
  • a maximum building height of 100 metres, about 29 to 32 storeys (an increase from the current maximum of 46 metres)
  • a maximum building floor area of 36,910 square metres (an increase from the current maximum of 22,146 square metres), based on a building floor to parcel area ratio (FAR) of 10
  • the uses listed in the proposed Mixed Use - Active Frontage (MU-2) District.
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but they are meeting with the CPC in a couple of weeks for this one. Located on Centre Street & 16th Ave. More information here.

I'd love to see something like the Brisbane Lagoon in Calgary. This is obviously a very different climate, but there are plenty of sandy beaches in Alberta. Why not create another.

View attachment 311353
The Brisbane lagoon is spectacular. It is actually not on their river, but separated from it by their version of Riverwalk. I think it is completely artificial (the Brisbane River is much, much bigger than the Bow, so probably too much flow to maintain a beach on it).

The Brisbane lagoon is spectacular. It is actually not on their river, but separated from it by their version of Riverwalk. I think it is completely artificial (the Brisbane River is much, much bigger than the Bow, so probably too much flow to maintain a beach on it).
Brisbane's is called Streets Beach. It is part of the larger Southbank parklands. Think of it as an enormous swimming pool with sand.

Several Australian city's have similar facilities, typically in hot locations adjacent to natural watercourses where the water isn't safe or appealing for swimming. The Brisbane river is mostly safe, but very muddy. I'd be surprised if its fresh water flow is greater than that of the Bow. It is tidal well into the Brisbane metro. Townsville, Airlie Beach and Cairns also have "artificial beaches" along their Esplanades, due to the stinger and croc risk of the natural beaches.

This is Cairns' Esplanade Lagoon:

Cairns-Esplanade-Landscape.jpg
Sign along Cairn's natural beachfront:
93226985-warning-sign-for-marine-stingers-and-crocodiles-at-the-beach-at-cairns-queensland-aus...jpg

Back