News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Honestly with the state of the economy and glut of housing, I hope they don’t touch the land for another decade or so. We still gotta fill up east village and the upcoming Victoria park redevelopment. Moving forward with the west village Plan is just gonna throw more land In the mix, competing with the unfinished areas in the core/beltline. Plus maybe in a decade or so they come out with a real cool redevelopment plan, something totally different. As well, I think it’s a great location to build a New football stadium.

Honestly with the state of the economy and glut of housing, I hope they don’t touch the land for another decade or so. We still gotta fill up east village and the upcoming Victoria park redevelopment. Moving forward with the west village Plan is just gonna throw more land In the mix, competing with the unfinished areas in the core/beltline. Plus maybe in a decade or so they come out with a real cool redevelopment plan, something totally different. As well, I think it’s a great location to build a New football stadium.

At least give us a few west end things to block the WV towers.

image.gif.3db28dc10ef8e8d168c258b2920c3628.gif

I think ONE properties is supposed to start up next year? That should align perfectly in front of them lol

It's actually a really interesting building due to it's bus/passenger capabilities - huge interior clearances and great road network access - and the corresponding terrible pedestrian access, despite some best efforts to the LRT station - but with a weird office and lobby space connected. Not a lot of buildings are designed this way as it's kind of unique to bus station/airport design. They used the high bays to film some movies in the past few years to take advantage of the flexible space where the buses previously parked, or so the rumour goes in the neighbourhood.

The Greyhound terminal stands as a relic from the past where this province thought intercity public transportation deserved more than a curb cut on 9th Avenue. It's too bad that another decade or two of abandonment and further deterioration await us to remind us of this policy failure.

For an alternative vision, Montreal's replacement terminal built in 2011 includes a very transit-oriented application approach - stacking affordable rentals on top of the bus depot. Simple and boring design, but highly functional and a physical commitment that intercity transportation options are a requirement for a just society.

1601066931534.png

1601067513900.png

If West Village is going to be redeveloped someone is going to have to step up to remediate the land. And much like the old Sears location at North Hill Shopping Centre it's not going to happen any time soon.

An Area Redevelopment Plan was made for that area back in 2013. The site everyday tourist made a good article on it back in January featuring images from the plan.

Last edited:

Back