News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Why don't you spell it out for us.
Everyone who questions soulless infills and blanket density policies is just a racist, duh.

While I understand people hoping to preserve their neighborhoods, and I don't disagree that should be possible if all neighbors agree. But if that is allowed, we also need to fundamentally redesign our property tax system. In this case, if property owners buy into a system where they pay the full cost of them having a car centric-close to downtown neighborhood then I'm all for it. But without it, it's essentially a subsidization scheme.
How we distribute our taxes is not something I'm particularly familiar with, so you may be right...in the grand scheme, paying for things you use is only fair. Although I'm sure I'm also paying for things I never use or like either...but that's kind of the trade-off living in a society. I don't think there's only one right way to live, and having that some relatively good choices in housing/community types is one of the reasons I like Calgary.

Last edited:
Not to take this too far off topic, but I sometimes wonder if culture is more the separator than skin color. My inner-city-ish neighborhood was 99.9% white when I moved into it 20 years ago, but now has a mix of varying ethnic groups. The most noticeable change is the amount of people of Indian descent, for example all of the 4 most recent house sales on my street were purchased by people of Indian heritage. An interesting observation I've noticed is that they are all Calgary born and raised who grew up in the NE, but are fairly similar to myself from a cultural point of view.
I haven't dug into it much, but found it to be an interesting observation.
^ This right here is accurate. I've grown up in the NE for most of my life. However, my cultural values and beliefs align much more with Canadian values and beliefs than those of immigrants. My friends are the same, as they have moved to different parts of the city where there are fewer brown people. I'll probably be moving out of the NE as well. I feel it takes about 1 generation for people to integrate with Canadian values. It's why you visibly see more mixed-race couples in cities where non-European immigration has dated back for decades like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Mixed coupling could become more of an outlier as the different communities establish populations. I see it in the workplaces of major employers. The overall workforce is diverse. However, the different teams or groups making up that workforce are typically not.

Back