News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

No thread. One Properties has shown it as a "future development" for over a decade now I think, not much traction or movement that I am aware of:

Wow, that render does a great job capturing the character of the neighborhood.

Somehow they've made the sidewalk even narrower and less accessible than what is already there. My favorite part is where dead ends in a tree planter with no way for pedestrians to get around.

Usually developers can be so insensitive and change the neighborhood so much. Great to see ONE Properties doing such sensitive work and preserving this culturally important car sewer.

1000027156.png

Vs.
1000027154.png

Nothing says vibrant retail "thanks for shopping, like try not to die!"

1000027157.png

Wow, that render does a great job capturing the character of the neighborhood.

Somehow they've made the sidewalk even narrower and less accessible than what is already there. My favorite part is where dead ends in a tree planter with no way for pedestrians to get around.

Usually developers can be so insensitive and change the neighborhood so much. Great to see ONE Properties doing such sensitive work and preserving this culturally important car sewer.

View attachment 593609

Vs.
View attachment 593607

Nothing says vibrant retail "thanks for shopping, like try not to die!"

View attachment 593610
I’ve always felt that 9th Ave needs to have at least 1 car lane removed.

I predict it’ll go ahead after BLVD is done.
I feel like they’d move on their EV project first. It’s more recent, though they haven’t released any renders nor submitted a DP yet I believe.

100%. Especially with 9th ave continuing through to Inglewood, it'd be nice to have a bike lane all the way through.
Yes, but only if there was some serious separation, not just painted lines or low curbs. I personally hate biking next to heavy traffic or fast-moving cars and much prefer the comparatively slower side streets (ie. would prefer a bike lane down 10th instead of 9th).

Yes, but only if there was some serious separation, not just painted lines or low curbs. I personally hate biking next to heavy traffic or fast-moving cars and much prefer the comparatively slower side streets (ie. would prefer a bike lane down 10th instead of 9th).
For sure. Make it the same as the other cycle tracks with a proper curb/median.

For sure. Make it the same as the other cycle tracks with a proper curb/median.
Never going to happen. 9th Ave is a major artery into downtown from the west. Thee is already a cycle lane on 12th Ave three blocks south, in any case, as well as 8th Ave, one block north. Another one on 9th Ave is not needed at all and I am a big supporter of bike lanes. Traffic already gets backed up on 9th Ave during morning commute.

8th Ave, one block north.
This is fine until you reach the "Stephen Ave" portion. There it is almost impossible to safely ride a bike through. I instead use 6th Ave to go west in the afternoon because it is safer than almost hitting people on 8th who are not expecting someone biking. The 8th Ave bike lane should be moved to 9th. One lane lost lane would not affect things that much, like adding a lane wouldn't do much.

Never going to happen. 9th Ave is a major artery into downtown from the west. Thee is already a cycle lane on 12th Ave three blocks south, in any case, as well as 8th Ave, one block north. Another one on 9th Ave is not needed at all and I am a big supporter of bike lanes. Traffic already gets backed up on 9th Ave during morning commute.
The section on 8th is useless east of 2St, Stephen Ave is one of the worst places to commute by bike. 9th should be the bike lane and the one on 8th should be removed. 4-5 lanes of traffic on 9th is excessive, if traffic back up, take the train, car pool or find another way to get downtown. Also, the bike lane on 12th is useless if you work north of the CPR line.

Except if you can use 5 St SW to get north of the CPR line.
Awesome, one cross street solves everything then. Freeways for everyone!

My point is that both the core and the beltline should have a separated E-W bike lane. The core has one for the less bust west section, but not the busy East section. 5th street won't help me if I work in the Bow, or Bankers Hall or any of the other major office buildings in the main core of downtown. 9th Ave is massively overbuilt, and we shouldn't be catering specifically to single occupant vehicles, Calgary is too big for that now. If a bike lane on 9th adds 30 seconds to 1 minute of commute time for motorists, but gives a great alternative to active modes, then I think it's 100% worth doing.

Last edited:

Back