News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Just putting a couple of interesting proposals for Seton here. Looks like Brookfield is planning a decent hub around the intersection of Market Street and Main Street SE.
Here are the two DP links:

The first is a Market Hall commercial building. But it's DP package also shows the overall land use plan for the intersection:
View attachment 412419
Renderings for the market hall, which is the NE corner of the intersection:

And then the mixed use building in the NW corner of the intersection. This one appears to have a unique parkade, with open deck parkign on the 2nd level, leading right to the back door of the townhomes that are stacked on top of retail:

View attachment 412422

View attachment 412425

That ramp seen in the renders is already there too. It is for the existing second level of the parkade for the professional building that is already built on Front Street. I always thought the ramp looked a little strange and 'unfinished' so this makes more sense now that these renders have been released. Thanks for sharing!

Screenshot 2022-07-15 093226.png

Do you think 17ave closer to the stampede grounds will start seeing more action, since it is getting extended? I am always surprised how 17th near MacLeod has nothing going on for a few blocks and then becomes interesting. You would think the opposite. Hopefully they can add more on the eastern part of 17th in the near future

Do you think 17ave closer to the stampede grounds will start seeing more action, since it is getting extended? I am always surprised how 17th near MacLeod has nothing going on for a few blocks and then becomes interesting. You would think the opposite. Hopefully they can add more on the eastern part of 17th in the near future
I think it is going to take something big & bold to start the development ball rolling from 1 St SW east to Macleod Tr. We had some discussion in this thread or another one about a hospitality/retail hub with movie theatres that would be perfect for that part of 17 Ave. It might be too close to the entertainment district on the Stampede grounds but we really don't know what is planned for there. It seems like the eastern part of Victoria Park/Beltline is always waiting for something before there is any traction.
i.e waiting for more residential density and then ... waiting for the economy to turn around and then .... waiting for the pandemic to end and then... waiting for the BMO expansion and event centre to get going

It's literally next door to The McLeod at RiverWest, 27 stories and kitty corner to Calgary Place, 36 stories. It's the same size site as Vista West (10th St / 8th Ave), which is 21 stories, 111 suites plus a little office and ground floor retail, or as a better comparison more recently 6th and Tenth, which is 31 stories, 224 units.

Fundamentally, it's out of scale to the community; it should be three times the height. Drop some of these in Montgomery, West Hillhurst, Capitol Hill, Ramsay; places that need starter density. Build downtown buildings in the downtown.
I disagree, a diversity of building types is fantastic.

I would like to see some more ground floor action - and for the love of god, the city should do something about 6th Ave being a 5-lane one-way road.
Certainly, but it will take time.

Once upon a time there was a tower atop a grocery store podium set for 17th and 1st W:

Back