News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

AE802EB6-35EF-4A81-A392-7593CAB2F7A4.jpeg

Both Macleod's, building the 11 Street one from scratch, and hopefully eventially something with the 14 Street one.

Score one for the good guys.

Did I hear correctly that it’s all a moot point now that the landowner has decided not to go ahead with the rebuild at all? For heavens sake, why waste everybody’s time and money to go all through that and then to just give up? Anybody have any intel on what happened?

Did I hear correctly that it’s all a moot point now that the landowner has decided not to go ahead with the rebuild at all? For heavens sake, why waste everybody’s time and money to go all through that and then to just give up? Anybody have any intel on what happened?
The local area plan was approved which raised the land value - the same plan lambasted at the sdab hearing.

add to that now every developer and every wannabe developer knew everything about the parcel.

If it were off of a private laneway, similar to some of the recent townhome developments around town, it would be okay. See these examples:

But, as this one appears to have the garage access the street, it really prevents a nice streetscape from forming. There is zero interaction with the public street (a blank wall for a ground floor), plus the inherent increased danger of numerous conflict points between vehicles backing out of garages across the pedestrian realm. Not to mention the need for greater impermeable surfaces for the driveways prevents more robust landscaping from forming.

So.... in summary, when directly accessed from the street.... not a fan.
Funny enough weren't both of those developments done by Brookfield? I might be mistaken. Also pretty sure they both required a DC to be able to build these with front setbacks that make sense for rowhomes/townhomes.

It’s nice but not nearly as cool as what was proposed 🤷🏻‍♂️

C9D0F92B-113E-45F6-83E9-219C7E7E0EF0.jpeg
463010AE-E5CA-4338-A984-F6AA34524CFD.jpeg

Can’t find it, but the original hat two sets of rocking (on rails?) picnic table setups, seemed like a very cool idea. This is good enough though.

Back