News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

The Greater Downtown Plan

Looking at pics like this one taken by @GoVertical makes me think there is hope for downtown yet. It has good bones, and just needs some changes, just some time and some will. The fact that the city is looking at this shows there is at least some will to do this. As some of the changes begin to kick in, it should keep the momentum going. Someday urban studies students will be taught about Calgary's unique downtown problem, and how we turned it around.

20210506_131900.jpg

The provincial government wants to stick their nose in Calgary’s downtown plan and I’m sure it’s not going to go smoothly. Look how much damage and delay they caused the Green Line project. I understand the need for the UCP to do their homework since they will be helping to fund the plan but I have a serious concern that they don’t plan to consult city council, who were the initiating party anyways!

The provincial government wants to stick their nose in Calgary’s downtown plan and I’m sure it’s not going to go smoothly. Look how much damage and delay they caused the Green Line project. I understand the need for the UCP to do their homework since they will be helping to fund the plan but I have a serious concern that they don’t plan to consult city council, who were the initiating party anyways!
For example, the province could decide to fund a big part of the downtown strategy with a Tax Increment Financing District that covered greater downtown. Given the collapse of property values, it could generate a lot of uplift over time.

Last edited:
Let's hope their sticking their nose in things includes some future funding.

With all of the 'hands with cash' that the province has extended, and all the empty hands coming back their way, we better hope for another O&G boom to help pay for all of this. At the rate spending, combined with declining revenue is going, I don't see Alberta balancing the budget this century. I may be off a decade or two but you get my meaning.
Can you imagine if the province and the city was also paying for a winter Olympics on top of all this? In hindsight, that was a wise decision to vote it down.

Buildings like this should be snapped up for low income housing specifically for families, as their floor plates lend themselves to 3 bedroom units.

F9006F4B-2A6F-4F84-A40C-476DD966F5EB.jpeg

Looking at Strategic’s “Cube” conversion and how enormous the spaces are is a good example.

I think after the quasi public proof of concept for cost with proper heating and bathroom systems that will happen. Too many numbers are hidden behind the curtain right now. Also buildings with higher floor to ceiling heights will be much easier - not always solely the plate size.
Then where the is issue asbestos. Remediation alone could kill a project budget. Or kill the sale value if sold as a retrofit.

Last edited:

Back