News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Roads, Highways & Infrastructure

I'm confused... in no way should opening up that small section affect anywhere else except the communities north of Bow Trail and west of Sarcee. No body else should be taking Old Banff Coach Road to get to the communities east of Sarcee. Maybe I'm missing something but it is definitely not faster to take Old Banff Coach Road to Stoney versus Sarcee to 16th.

Even once that whole section of Stoney is open it should divert enough traffic away from Sarcee that Sarcee becomes a much more local road for the communities directly to west and east of it.

Please City of Calgary, do not count your chickens before they hatch.
Isn’t the assumption there will be more cars on Bow Trail now and consequently more cars entering the Bow-Sarcee intersection. Although one would assume less cars on Sarcee now as well.
Time will tell I guess.

There's something I've been wondering for quite some time now. When the left turn from EB Glenmore on to NB Crowchild was doubled, the design showed that extra lane from the double turn going through all the way where the freeway portion begins, but when this project was done, they left the room for that lane as a really wide inside shoulder/median and just decided to have that right lane abruptly end. This has always struck me as a very stupid choice since most people don't expect it and it causes a lot of close calls and road rage. Does anyone know what excuse the city has for not following their own plan here?

I was really hoping they would remediate this as a part of the bridge rehab work, but that is not the case sadly.

There's something I've been wondering for quite some time now. When the left turn from EB Glenmore on to NB Crowchild was doubled, the design showed that extra lane from the double turn going through all the way where the freeway portion begins, but when this project was done, they left the room for that lane as a really wide inside shoulder/median and just decided to have that right lane abruptly end. This has always struck me as a very stupid choice since most people don't expect it and it causes a lot of close calls and road rage. Does anyone know what excuse the city has for not following their own plan here?

I was really hoping they would remediate this as a part of the bridge rehab work, but that is not the case sadly.
That type of weirdness is a great thing to write your councillor or the local councillor about. Grab some photos and the original plan, and I bet you’d have an answer in 6 weeks.

Deerfoot Trail - What is Happening ?
There's some coring going on near the Lafarge exit from Anderson / Bow Bottom (near the ivor strong bridge). Not sure if it's related to this project but wouldn't be shocked.

Edit: Found it on the website, guess it's related!

Haha - thanks for the responses guys but the “Tree clearing” in my post is actually a link to an e-mail I received titled “Deerfoot Trail - What is Happening ?”.

Distant photo of the Ivor Strong bridge work going on.

PXL_20231119_224235710.jpg

Are you sure these interchanges were funded? I don't see this item on the website here:
Believe so, easy to miss one when moving content around. My understanding is every adjustment was passed. And Wouldn't you know, those two interchanges are in the Ward of one of the 'reluctant' yes votes :)

Edit:

You're right, found this in one of the documents. It was sneaky! They voted to recommend to themselves to approve it next early next year. Classic late addition tactic.
"Investment recommended for future funding consideration, including 2024 Mid-Cycle Adjustments or other future Adjustments."

Last edited:
Thanks, but also.... what? So, they just approved to think about it in future years? Or, is it fully approved, as in people living in Belmont can expect to see construction?

I appreciate the help, you are much more versed at parsing through this stuff than I am.

Back