News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Roads, Highways & Infrastructure

Perhaps one of the deep south interchanges, like Macleod 210th or Macleod 194th Ave?

In reality though, the latest rounds of investment have opened up a lot of capacity for growth lands. Deerfoot / 212th Ave SE means much of the Rangeview ASP and eventually, Ricardo Ranch ASP can move forward. The rebuild of the Cranston/Highway 1 entrance means the remaining Cranston lands should be able to go forward, along with Osprey Hills. And the communities in the far north inthe Glacier Ridge ASP will benefit from the recent north stoney upgrades. Might not need any large scale car projects for a while.
Where are Osprey Hills and the remaining Cranston lands? The existing community of Cranston seems close to build out.

I could see Macleod 194th or Sarcee and Richmond going ahead. Maybe with the huge growth in the Haskayne area of the NW (Rockland Park), an interchange at 12 Mile Coulee might make sense. An LRT extension to 12 Mile Coulee might also make sense.

The city is currently building 6 new interchanges on Stoney trail.
I group those under "Stoney N" improvements. The pace and relative low cost of those improvements speaks to the high level of engineering design put into Stoney Trail.

Where are Osprey Hills and the remaining Cranston lands? The existing community of Cranston seems close to build out.

I could see Macleod 194th or Sarcee and Richmond going ahead. Maybe with the huge growth in the Haskayne area of the NW (Rockland Park), an interchange at 12 Mile Coulee might make sense. An LRT extension to 12 Mile Coulee might also make sense.
Woops, typo on my end. I meant to say Crestmont, not Cranston. Osprey Hills is a new community just to the west of COP. It got 3rd reading at council back in September:
1637696979190.png

Richmond Road and Sarcee Trail is another good suggestion. There is an approved functional planning design, and the opening of SW Stoney Trail may cause traffic to really bottle neck at that intersection if/when travel patterns return to normal post Covid, and commuters from the deep south west look to get downtown without using Macleod:

Woops, typo on my end. I meant to say Crestmont, not Cranston. Osprey Hills is a new community just to the west of COP. It got 3rd reading at council back in September:
View attachment 364956

Richmond Road and Sarcee Trail is another good suggestion. There is an approved functional planning design, and the opening of SW Stoney Trail may cause traffic to really bottle neck at that intersection if/when travel patterns return to normal post Covid, and commuters from the deep south west look to get downtown without using Macleod:
Crestmont broke ground in 1999, so its buildout took forever as it is not that large of a community. Osperey Hills doesn't look all that large either. The NW and W sides of the city are approaching buildout. Osperey and Rockmont Park will be some of the last suburban communities build in that direction. I could see future growth really taking off along SW Stoney, eventually requiring some improvements out that way.

If Stoney ends up dumping lots of traffic onto Sarcee, the intersection at Bow Trail will also likely require grade separation.

View attachment 364956

Key word here is may. Stoney may also have the opposite effect, displacing a few percent of traffic. Certainly that is the hope at Bow, Sarcee.

I think Stoney will make a big impact at BowTrail and Sarcee. But that being said I hate that intersection more than perhaps any other in the city. It frequently takes me 15+minutes to turn from Bow Trail east onto Sarcee north. At some point the city really ought to put in interchange there, it's just wayyy to bad as is.

Crestmont broke ground in 1999, so its buildout took forever as it is not that large of a community. Osperey Hills doesn't look all that large either. The NW and W sides of the city are approaching buildout. Osperey and Rockmont Park will be some of the last suburban communities build in that direction. I could see future growth really taking off along SW Stoney, eventually requiring some improvements out that way.

If Stoney ends up dumping lots of traffic onto Sarcee, the intersection at Bow Trail will also likely require grade separation.
There is still a future phase of Crestmont. Not huge, but significant compared to the existing community. Qualico already has approval for the commercial portion adjacent to Old Banff Coach Road, on the County side of their land holdings:

What's the timeline on the Stoney Tr extension south of 16Ave? They had streetlights on there when I came back from snowboarding the other day, so it looks close!

They are a total of 3 seperate projects I think. Highway 8 to OBCR is one, OBCR to the River is 2, and the bridge is a 3rd. Not sure though, been a little while since I was looking at it closely. I have noticed though that there is a lift of pavement already going up the hill, and to hear there are streetlights already, damn. I don't know how far behind the bridge structures are, but if they could get the OBCR to 16th Ave portion done and open sooner, that would be amazing.

There is still a future phase of Crestmont. Not huge, but significant compared to the existing community. Qualico already has approval for the commercial portion adjacent to Old Banff Coach Road, on the County side of their land holdings:
Wow. Crestmont still does have plenty of land to grow

Back