Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I really hope they go with the Rossetti design.
So do I. I think that would make for a super intimate atmosphere and would also give cheapos like me who sit in the nosebleeds a better view of the action. At the same time I worry how much that will reduce seating capacity. At 19,289 seats, the 'dome is one of the bigger arenas, and that helps to keep tickets cheap (relatively speaking). Winnipeg, who only has 16,345 seats, has way more expensive tickets. Their press level costs as much as our upper bowl.
Here's a video for that Rossetti design for anyone who's interested. Cool concept for sure.

An interesting claim they make on their website is that, because it apparently requires less steel to construct, this design could save ~15% on construction costs. There's lots of folks who are in opposition to a new arena being built at all. If what they say is true, that 15% would take $90,000,000 off the 600M construction cost ... AND give us a better product in the end. Wonder if that would sway some people?

Last edited:
The inverted bowl Rossetti is pushing looks interesting. I could see a setup like that being super loud and intimate. I'm not 100% convinced on the exterior design but I think more details of the concourse, entrances and interaction with existing street are needed.

Im sure everyone is aware of the tentative agreement for the new arena
The arena design has not been finalized yet but will be something completely different from other cities. Here's a rendering of what the district along with the arena could possibly look like

I like it. an entrance into the grounds like this from the north, and something similar from 17th ave and the grounds would be well integrated into the Beltline.

Glad the Flames came to their senses and decided to play ball. Lots of people poking holes in the math already though, so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next week or so (longer if Wooley gets his way).

Glad the Flames came to their senses and decided to play ball. Lots of people poking holes in the math already though, so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in the next week or so (longer if Wooley gets his way).
What seems to be most criticized so far, to not quote the 400 million dollars of estimated benefits in today's dollars - despite their return as a cash-flow over the next 35 years - would fail any introductory finance class' first quiz. I am excited to see if they will admit to why they did their math incorrect over the coming days.

Shaky stadium economics aside, the design and integrated nature between CMLC, the city and CSEC should produce a pretty slick building.

Also: the timing of this one with the budget cuts coming to public transit and other services in the next few days will make local social media one hell of a ride. The optics of this timing are hilarious.

Last edited:
The rendering looks great. I like the look and feel of this more than I do with Edmonton's ICE district. This has a nicer human scale and feel to it. also the glass walls wold be great in comparison to the windowless aluminum covered Rogers Place. With so many thing s going on at Stampede park, this has a much better chance of being successful than the ICE district. Anyhow, this blows away the ICE district, I hope it gets built similar to how it's shown. So that's that.

Now for the money. I know people will grip about it, but I think it's a fair deal. I don't go to hockey games, but I would love to be able to see some good concerts, and if it's going to cost me some tax money, that's fine. I've only been to the central library once, and had no problem paying tax for that too.

I too like the rendering for its human scale but it'd be nice if we can still get more enhancements. Like a collage of big neon lit billboards would be nice. Something like LA Live, Dundas Square and even I think Edmonton would be good to borrow from.It really helps add to the experience when in hotspot areas of a city, especially at night. The rendering gives it a slightly more small town feeling which I don't mind but we have 8th ave already for that, plus Calgary will be moving into the big city class once the whole area is built out (20+ years).

It is hard to envision what the entire district will look like when all is finished. The rendering above is one perspective. Other than the event centre, nothing else is finalized. Retail, residential and other attractions are dependent on private developers including the Stampede board. The Stampede had their own plan for an entertainment district which included the property where the event centre will be located. The original plans have changed. For sure, the area will eventually fill in around the event centre. It might look like an LA Live or a Dundas Square, it might not. We won't know until it is all finished. My concern is that the earliest construction will start is 2021, from the sounds of it. Will this take away from the completion of East Village? There is only so much development $$$ to go around for a city the size of Calgary.

Back