News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 873     0 

Mayor Naheed Nenshi's Calgary

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apart from Farkas throwing a tantrum every time Council spends money, I really don't know what else he stands for. He seems like another fiscal conservative running as an antidote to Nenshi. I hope the vitriol directed at Council doesn't manifest itself into another Al Duerr era where the city didn't build anything for 10 years.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Al Duerr era wasn’t a symptom of Al Duerr - our country as a whole was/had been spending way above our capacity for decades. By the last few years when fiscal capacity was available at other layers of government you started to have investment again - overpasses, the Deerfoot extension, incremental LRT, libraries and rec centres.

Silence&Motion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Given my lack of knowledge of Calgary's political history, I had to look up Al Duerr and discovered that Calgary has only had 4 mayors since 1980! 🤯

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Calgary has been very fortunate in having council led by a string of reasonably competent Mayors for a long time, each building on the successes of the last for the most part. The last real scandal involving a Mayor was in the late 50s, leading to the win of Harry Hays in 1959.