MacKimmie Complex and Professional Faculties Building Redevelopment | 59m | 15s | U of C | DIALOG

Josh Gibbs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Still looking very forward when more of the crumbling exterior gets removed. I believe external elevators are going to be installed on the northwest face of Mackimmie tower especially since the way the panels were stripped off in lines.

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe you’re correct. Someone else mentioned construction lifts going there first to facilitate the interior demolition first before the rest of the exterior skin.

Still looking very forward when more of the crumbling exterior gets removed. I believe external elevators are going to be installed on the northwest face of Mackimmie tower especially since the way the panels were stripped off in lines.

Josh Gibbs

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe you’re correct. Someone else mentioned construction lifts going there first to facilitate the interior demolition first before the rest of the exterior skin.
Those precast concrete panels got to be very heavy. Probably weighing about two tons each. So far 21 concrete panels have been removed so far as I counted on the pictures.

Beltline_B

Member Bio
Reaction score
I post from my iPad.
Strange that it doesn’t let you pull a pic from your Photo library, our use an iPhone, which I assume is much the same as an iPad, and when I go to upload a photo it let me choose to take a live photo or use a photo from my photo library.

Alex_YYC

Member Bio
Reaction score
It might be browser related. I have an iPhone too but I can’t load pics when trying to use Safari.
Strange that it doesn’t let you pull a pic from your Photo library, our use an iPhone, which I assume is much the same as an iPad, and when I go to upload a photo it let me choose to take a live photo or use a photo from my photo library.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
upload_2018-4-23_12-27-49.png

You can see the hole for the man hoist on the north side of the tower at the bottom left here.

I don't believe any more exterior panels are coming off for a while. It is likely very convenient to have the tower sealed until the last possible moment when they finishing taking out the interior elevators. I noticed the south side has holes drilled in most of the panels so they can potentially demount them using the crane - the west and east sides may come off using the lift-able scaffold and the man hoist in a First Canada Place sty;e though less elaborate type operation instead from what I have put together.

Attachments

Josh Gibbs

Member Bio
Reaction score
I walked by the tower when I went to my fitness program which is every Wednesday. I noticed five exterior panels were removed from the west face of the tower and one on the north. All the windows are removed from the top floor.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Prairie Chicken will return, not to worry.