News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

I don’t like this idea of R-CG becoming the new base density won’t that attract lower income people? sure they attract immigrants but I always envisioned the city as the Canadian dream or something like that where once you come here you will become more prosperous! and it doesn’t make sense urban geography standpoint, you go from dense to Medium density (barely) to suburban single-family homes to a slight density rise at the edge that makes no sense. The cities development is Whack you shouldn’t change anything. The only thing you should change is allow for more condo towers to appear in the greater downtown area to encourage the development and you have a massive gold mine just north of the Bow river. But instead of doing that, you decide to just plop condo towers across the entire city instead of concentrating it in the greater downtown area sure may get the sense that the city is older then it really is but could you at least put more effort into building more stuff in that area and I live at the very northwest corner of the city. I’m worried about what type of people that may attract and how it may affect crime rates and the local co-op may be packed! if the development were to continue.
Are you 67 or 18 years old? I’m confused about your perspective, honestly

Last edited:
I don’t like this idea of R-CG becoming the new base density won’t that attract lower income people? sure they attract immigrants but I always envisioned the city as the Canadian dream or something like that where once you come here you will become more prosperous! and it doesn’t make sense urban geography standpoint, you go from dense to Medium density (barely) to suburban single-family homes to a slight density rise at the edge that makes no sense. The cities development is Whack you shouldn’t change anything. The only thing you should change is allow for more condo towers to appear in the greater downtown area to encourage the development and you have a massive gold mine just north of the Bow river. But instead of doing that, you decide to just plop condo towers across the entire city instead of concentrating it in the greater downtown area sure may get the sense that the city is older then it really is but could you at least put more effort into building more stuff in that area and I live at the very northwest corner of the city. I’m worried about what type of people that may attract and how it may affect crime rates and the local co-op may be packed! if the development were to continue.
bro, this is not 20-30 years ago, the world is change, the country is change, Calgary need change. it is not the time we only digging oil or feeding bulls could survive anymore. we need change, i understand some old Calgarian does not like it.. but we have to make changes. young, professional migration or immigration will be the main power for city's development.

I'm just worried about potential disturbances in my area but it's progress I guess and when it comes to that poor people thing you can partially blame the government I mean housing prices have went up a lot to a point where we have to live in smaller places I'm not a small house person myself I was going to post a while conspiracy theory relating to smaller houses and stuff never mind now what where we talking about oh yeah infill

I'm worried of the future is smaller and smaller homes to a point where you live in a tiny house like in Japan damn I'm dumb

What are we supposed to do with McLeod Trail from Spiller Road to Southcenter mall? It's an ugly shroud that definitely needs redevelopment

I'm worried of the future is smaller and smaller homes to a point where you live in a tiny house like in Japan damn I'm dumb
If you want to afford to live in a bigger home, best thing to do is allow people to build whatever size homes they want on their land. This will reduce demand and competition for larger homes because some people will make different choices and buy a more affordable smaller home instead of competing with you for a limited number of larger homes.

What are we supposed to do with McLeod Trail from Spiller Road to Southcenter mall? It's an ugly shroud that definitely needs redevelopment
That's not what infill means, it's a 10 km stretch of road.
Uh-oh looks like I'm going to start a lot of drama here better pay very close attention next time
what?

I really love projects like metro town or Brentwood , I wish we could have similar one , just one is fine
I see, so would the shops/retail/active frontages orient towards Macleod Trail as the main street? What aspects of what Macleod Trail make building something like Brentwood or Metrotown unattractive to developers?

Westbrook would be a nice spot for something like that.
yeah, i drive across westbrook everyday. in summer that biggest dandelion land looks terrible. actually i could think about lot of places could copy those projects in Calgary.

westbrook, chinook, brentwood, south center, market mall... and those small plazas in Mc Leod...well. that is just my dream... i know YYC wont get it... too hard for us

potential disturbances in my area
Please elaborate on what these disturbances may be?

my R1 house I had a neighbour who had a pool who was noisy, and a neighbour who owned a concrete company who owned 6 cars and loaded their business vehicles from their second garage at 5:30 am.
zoning isnt a HOA

Back