4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Infill Development Discussion

Glendale 17, a townhouse development near 45 St station:

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 3.51.44 PM.png

The developer applied for and was granted redesignation of 5 parcels of land fronting 17 Ave SW, interestingly from M-C1 to H-GO. This development is on two of those parcels, and totals 22 units.

Approved land use redesignation: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=LOC2022-0117

Development permit, under review: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-06295

I'm not sure if this deserves a thread/place on the map, but it is a significant density bump for these parcels, and is TOD. So, I find it notable.

three projects on 33rd look to have started

Small lot bt 14th and 15th st

6F290680-1B05-4A16-ADD1-1C0954816A23.jpeg

south side of the street across from The Hudson

54018C42-0DEE-4A48-A27E-33261FCFE730.jpeg

the large development on the north east side at 19th st

A70C21CF-62BA-42D5-BDC1-9B2F27976911.jpeg
E5C32855-401B-4A45-855D-B10FDF5B24DE.jpeg
9BCAE31C-E714-4B6E-8F50-A95E1D72C5C1.jpeg

Also I take back what I said about the ground level sw corner of the hudson, looks like it was just covered up before

EC8EE8C5-A62B-4B76-BF8B-7ABDA97E0948.jpeg

Lastly dont drive here if you can avoid it, its absolutely bonkers even by marda loop standards.

Only reason I went was I needed a flirty bird fix.

Didn't a plan go to Council, and wasn't it rejected by Council? The City can only deliver what they're asked to do.
If there was a plan specific to Macleod Trail that went to Council i am unaware of it. I just know that in the MDP Macleod Trail is a Main Street and in the newer Heritage LAP all of the language around what the design of Macleod Trail was safeguarded it's current stroad characteristics through policy.

If there was a plan specific to Macleod Trail that went to Council i am unaware of it. I just know that in the MDP Macleod Trail is a Main Street and in the newer Heritage LAP all of the language around what the design of Macleod Trail was safeguarded it's current stroad characteristics through policy.
Here is a link to the plan that was rejected by Council:

You can see the video of the Council meeting where it was rejected, on June 15, 2015:

The corridor study is item 10.2.1 on the agenda linked above.

Macleod Trail fix pegged at $99M; Redevelopment aims for greener major artery​

Stephenson, Amanda
; Calgary, Alta.. 06 Oct 2014: A.6.

The car-centric retail strip that is Macleod Trail is a long way away from anyone's vision of an attractive, pedestrian-friendly urban boulevard.

But a proposed redevelopment plan could make it possible in decades to come, if city politicians decide it's worth the nearly $100-million price tag.

While no one is suggesting an overnight redesign of one of Calgary's busiest thoroughfares, the Macleod Trail corridor plan that will be debated by a city committee on Friday presents a new vision to work toward. Instead of the long expanse of traffic-clogged concrete that exists now, the plan proposes a Macleod Trail that integrates highquality urban design and environmentally friendly infrastructure. Recommendations include maintaining six lines of vehicle traffic but widening sidewalks and pathways, adding separated cycle tracks, and creating green boulevard space.

The plan would make Macleod Trail more attractive to cyclists and pedestrians and give it the kind of character it is missing now. But construction costs are estimated at $99 million to redesign the entire stretch of road from 25th Avenue to Anderson Road, and that figure doesn't include land acquisition costs required for the widening of the roadway.

"It's a tough one," said Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra, vice-chairman of the city's transportation and transit committee. "In our cash-strapped environment, when we don't have money to do everything, is this a priority? But at the same point, if you want to do it at any point, you have to start now."

That doesn't mean spending money now, Carra said, but it does mean approving the plan so future Macleod Trail development can be tailored to fit within the framework. It would also give the city the ability to start acquiring land gradually as it becomes available.

Ward 11 Coun. Brian Pincott - who represents many of the communities that border Macleod Trail - called the proposal a great plan. He said it would turn the thoroughfare from an almost 100-per-cent car-dominated zone into something that "is actually a benefit to the neighbourhoods and communities that go along it."

Pincott said even though it won't happen for decades, it's important to have a plan in place.

"Then as a site redevelops, we can tell property owners, 'this is the plan, so don't put your parking along Macleod Trail - put it at the back,'" Pincott said. "Or we can say, 'we're going to acquire some of the road right-of-way for the plan.'"

But while Pincott said he believes transforming Macleod Trail is a 25-year project, Carra said it could be a 50-or even 100-year project. He said while he'd like to see better crosswalks to make it easier to walk across to the CTrain station, he's not sure a grand, "Parisian-style" urban boulevard is really necessary.

I think over the next 50 years, we've got much bigger fish to fry," Carra said. "If it becomes about prioritizing this over many other things that should be higher priority, it's never going to happen."

The power point:

Attachments

• 1699050145483.png
    1699050145483.png
    502.8 KB · Views: 24
Another Rowhome type submission, this one for Bridgeland at this location Not much info other than three x 3 storey buildings for a total of 16 units. It's a decent density boost, but too bad it wasn't a larger development that included the corner lot. at 201 9A st.

View attachment 517606
Looking at what’s at that corner, a shame they couldn’t get the owner to sell. Wish we had gotten a bigger development that encompassed the office building across the laneway into a mid size development like the 19+2 at West Hillhurst

Looking at what’s at that corner, a shame they couldn’t get the owner to sell. Wish we had gotten a bigger development that encompassed the office building across the laneway into a mid size development like the 19+2 at West Hillhurst
So much good development has happened on the south side of 1st, but very little on the north side.

Hi: I am wondering where the most up-to-date information is on statistics for garden suites in Calgary might be found? I am also wondering if the zoning has been changed to allow for more than 2 units per lot. Change is coming! Thanks!

Back