News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

I walked by there the other day and I honestly can't tell if that vegetation in that section is just weeds gone wild or is actually planned like that. There are a few sections along there that seem to have been forgotten when it comes to landscaping.
The way the city has let the weeds take over the "planters" on the 5st underpass, I would guess it's not intentional.

The way the city has let the weeds take over the "planters" on the 5st underpass, I would guess it's not intentional.
It's annoying since in the original designs there looked like there was supposed to be more plants and shrubs planted in the final design. Now it's just trees with grass around them so the amount of litter that's around them is just disgusting.

Not really seen in this photo, but the way that ramp connects to the Centre Street bridge drives me crazy as a cyclist.
It's a bit awkward. At least the gap is wider than it used to be, but I really wish they had put in rounded corners. I've only used the ramps 3 or 4 times and already I've had a situation where myself and the other cyclist had to come to a stop because we were both entering/leaving the ramp at the same time.

Also, the new underpass pathway is great, having so much space, and a two way dedicated path for cyclists...... It's great as long as people know the cycling path is for cyclists. I used it today and there was a person walking on the cycling path, and there were people using the pedestrian side (properly as expected), so I couldn't go around the person walking on the cycling path who had earbuds on so she didn't hear the bell :mad:

Last edited:
It's a bit awkward. At least the gap is wider than it used to be, but I really wish they had put in rounded corners. I've only used the ramps 3 or 4 times and already I've had a situation where myself and the other cyclist had to come to a stop because we were both entering/leaving the ramp at the same time.

Also, the new underpass pathway is great, having so much space, and a two way dedicated path for cyclists...... It's great as long as people know the cycling path is for cyclists. I used it today and there was a person walking on the cycling path, and there were people using the pedestrian side (properly as expected), so I couldn't go around the person walking on the cycling path who had earbuds on so she didn't hear the bell :mad:
I wish they would've used green or red pavement for the cycling paths. I see people walking in them all the time but can I blame them when the other 995km of pathways are for all users?

ATCO Towers Renovation

Exterior Rendering (Not exactly relevant for interior renovations but still pretty cool)

abd1d4d0-f76d-4e45-bb51-92d2bb9f7b91-w

Exterior Rendering (Not exactly relevant for interior renovations but still pretty cool)

abd1d4d0-f76d-4e45-bb51-92d2bb9f7b91-w
Looks like they're getting rid of this little PoMo flourish, which is literally the only thing slightly interesting about this building. Lame. I guess corporate Calgary needs to be as boring as possible.

atco.png

Update from May 16th, so apologies for the delay:

SAIT Campus Centre Redevelopment Update:
https://www.sait.ca/about-sait/camp...intenance/campus-centre-redevelopment-project

Being designed / built by GEC Architecture / Bird Construction, with design to conclude in early 2024.
Ouch. To provide context, the kinesiology complex at UCalgary has been as designed as this will be in 2024 for 5 years already iirc.

While welcome news that things are going forward, it is awful news that this likely means it will be the end of the decade before the project is done.

Ouch. To provide context, the kinesiology complex at UCalgary has been as designed as this will be in 2024 for 5 years already iirc.

While welcome news that things are going forward, it is awful news that this likely means it will be the end of the decade before the project is done.
Still seems strange to me that they got to the point where they took down the old building, while not being very far along for the new one. That's a big gap in facilities for the campus for an extended period of time.

Still seems strange to me that they got to the point where they took down the old building, while not being very far along for the new one. That's a big gap in facilities for the campus for an extended period of time.
Would it have anything to do with the asbestos in the building and the extra time needed for demolition?

Back