News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

General Construction Updates

Footings for the new bridge going in at Eau Claire:
20210826_112109.jpg
20210826_112128.jpg

I noticed on the riverwalk section in front of Harry Hayes, they've dug everything up only a few years after they spruced it all up. Any idea of the rationale behind it?
From the city's Eau Claire project website. Looks to be a solid intersection improvement into Chinatown at 1 St SE and a bunch of flood barrier upgrades.
1630017592939.png

Just when the landscaping was really starting to get established, back to square one. I hope they replant a few more trees along the river wall. I know they want to keep sight lines open, but a few more elm or aspen trees along the way would really help it out.

Just when the landscaping was really starting to get established, back to square one. I hope they replant a few more trees along the river wall. I know they want to keep sight lines open, but a few more elm or aspen trees along the way would really help it out.
That intersection improvement into Chinatown is a huge win though. The original Riverwalk setup effectively encouraged pathway users to skip past the neighbourhood. I'd trade some planters and gardens for that connectivity.

I am surprised the original design missed the Chinatown connection with only a single pedestrian blinker crosswalk at the Harry Hays building. It's a great pocket of dozens of restaurants and loads of vibrancy only a block from the river. Kind of the exact thing you'd think you'd want to provide solid pedestrian connectivity to.

From the city's Eau Claire project website. Looks to be a solid intersection improvement into Chinatown at 1 St SE and a bunch of flood barrier upgrades.
View attachment 344277
Agreed, it would be nicer to have a better intersection connection at 1st. Looking at the image from the city's website, it looks pretty close to what they have today, or maybe I'm missing something?

Agreed, it would be nicer to have a better intersection connection at 1st. Looking at the image from the city's website, it looks pretty close to what they have today, or maybe I'm missing something?
Here's the improvements in more detail, I found it in the 3rd Avenue corridor project. Red is sidewalk expansion, green is new cycletrack to connect to 3rd Ave. Looks like a reduction of nearly half the road width in all dimensions, removal of the wide swooping corners to tighter, safer ones, and adding cycling and crosswalks to provide better access. All small things but spot on to turn a dull, car-oriented intersection into an attractive urban gateway on and off the path system.

1630082483304.png

Here's the current setup.
1630082563301.png

Here's the improvements in more detail, I found it in the 3rd Avenue corridor project. Red is sidewalk expansion, green is new cycletrack to connect to 3rd Ave. Looks like a reduction of nearly half the road width in all dimensions, removal of the wide swooping corners to tighter, safer ones, and adding cycling and crosswalks to provide better access. All small things but spot on to turn a dull, car-oriented intersection into an attractive urban gateway on and off the path system.

View attachment 344429

Here's the current setup.
View attachment 344430
Looks like they'll be eliminating two of those angled parking spaces on Macleod. Shhhhh! No one tell the Chinatown BIA. They'll try to grind the whole project to a stop.

Here's a photo of the sign for the New Calgary Court of Appeal Courthouse set to be built behind the old Court of Appeal building and across the street from the Calgary Courts Centre.View attachment 344436

Doubt courting a sign created a lot of jobs. I can see its appeal though.

Back