News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Underpass demolition and reconstruction is definitely underway.

D7F92D6B-2671-49B4-B37E-EFB98844C5C8.jpeg
8DBA14A1-955E-474E-A523-ED3387C3F59E.jpeg
01B4784E-178F-4F9E-ADA7-98242E8D73A5.jpeg

Is there a design for the underpass reconstruction posted above? How many train underpasses are left now that need a renovation?

Is that first one Bowness Park? there are a bunch of hiking trails around where the Stony bridge meets the slope, but now that they are twinning Stony there, I think a lot of the really nice trails are gone.

Yeah I just from the west and of Bowness Park. There used to be a trail that continued west under the stony trail bridge along the Bow River but it’s closed now, the sign says temporary closure so I’m assuming it open again. I hope so.

Is that first one Bowness Park? there are a bunch of hiking trails around where the Stony bridge meets the slope, but now that they are twinning Stony there, I think a lot of the really nice trails are gone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alpine-park-breaks-ground-1.5669302

Looks like a new community broke ground in the SW, and judging from the renders it looks like it may turn out pretty nice. I do find it ridiculous that that are comparing a suburb in the deep southwest to the distillery district in TO though. Hopefully things can turn out just like planned and i'm optimistic they will.

The community will provide
- 20 000 jobs over the next 15 years
-1750 new jobs per year
- residences for ~15 000 people

Looks like at first it will be just home being built then as density and population increase it will move to more commercial/ Mixed use developments throughout the planned 15 years. Its nice to see developers planning communities in Calgary that are more than just suburban sprawl. Once complete I'm hoping this will have a lot of character to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks like a new community broke ground in the SW, and judging from the renders it looks like it may turn out pretty nice. I do find it ridiculous that that are comparing a suburb in the deep southwest to the distillery district in TO though. Hopefully things can turn out just like planned and i'm optimistic they will.

-1750 new jobs per year

Looks like at first it will be just home being built then as density and population increase it will move to more commercial/ Mixed use developments throughout the planned 15 years. Its nice to see developers planning communities in Calgary that are more than just suburban sprawl. Once complete I'm hoping this will have a lot of character to it.
I want to believe this will turn out well, but it often is very status quo.

What I feel confident is that in the ASP there is a lot on land use planning language with “buildings SHOULD be street oriented”, and not “SHALL be street oriented”, and will produce what we have along the Green Line, with buildings facing away from 52St, in mahogany and auburn bay, again. Read: commercial frontages that orient away from a Main Street. I presume this will turn out looking like every “master planned” community built in new Calgary suburbs that has huge vehicle oriented ROWs and doesn’t orient buildings towards them. I hope to see something different though.

Last edited:

-1750 new jobs per year

Looks to be beside Evergreen, with Stoney in between. I can't imagine how an urban/mixed-use development there would thrive unless it's car-oriented unfortunately. No mass transit planned to that area for sure.

My design studio worked with DREAM on part of the approval process a few years ago. While obviously still in a suburban location, the master planning that I saw definitely looked to be a big upgrade the typical Calgary suburb, with interesting housing choices and a concerted effort to build a mix-use neighborhood with character. I can't speak to how things will turn out in reality, but at the time I got the vibe that it was for people who loved the energy and mix of the urban experience, but were now in that phase of life where they needed more space for kids etc. Not everyone can afford to be a latte-sipper in Hillhurst or Mission after all. Hopefully reality matches, or at least comes close to, the vision. Good design in the suburbs is just as, if not more, important than in the inner city.

Back