News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Yeah the Jaipur Bridge has been closed for a while now and will be undergoing demolition soon. That would have nothing to do with that I mentioned. I’m talking about the lagoon (at the eastern tip of the island), not the area under the bridge.

Whenever it ends up being done, I'm just happy to see it more open. I think it'll be a popular public space once it's done. Not so much from all now concrete work, but because all those old conifers are gone and there is some openness to it.

I was hoping they would do it more like James Short or McDougall... Underground parkade with a park on top is a really good use of space, albeit expensive..

They aren’t taking out the lagoon, this has nothing to do with the green line. As shown in the new release on the Green Line today, the bridge goes over the portion between the parkspace and the lagoon. It would also be far too early to be undertaking such measures, since the new routing isn’t even approved yet. There would be no reason the city could have to remove the lagoon in any case.

It’s likely just habitat restoration.

Reactions: AJX
They may have had to clear some of the debris to get at the core drilling sites. In any case, whatever the beavers did, the constructed storm water treatment wetland wasn't working as designed. Walking around, I am not even sure it can -- it isn't evident where the water source for it is, beyond seepage up. Perhaps the lagoon 'silted' too much from organic decay over the years and no longer effectively is connected to the river at the 'source' end of the lagoon.

The lagoon is nice and all, but it is a built environment and we have to remember that. The natural environment there is a gravel bar.

The lagoon was dredged out during the last major renovation in 2001. A storm outflow was also relocated to reduce sediment loading at the same time.

The West Eau Claire Park was to include a boardwalk along the lagoon. Maybe that is going to happen.

Oh sorry. Used the same words to refer to two different things. The storm water treatment path,
1589491307599.png

and the water impounded by the little weir between Eau Claire and the island--properly the lagoon.

The wetland should be refered to as the pond I guess. The lagoon is full right now; the pond is mostly drained.

I described fully the area I was talking about, and made sure to describe that it wasn’t the area between the island and Eau Claire.

But yes, the wetland is drained entirely. Last I was there, they had clearly dug out a massive beaver lodge which made me sad. I’m sure they had their reasons though. Was only wondering if there had been an official release that anyone noticed.

Also that image is totally freaking awesome. I had no idea the lagoon/wetland/whatever was fed by the storm drains. I knew it was a passive water treatment scheme, but that is so cool.

Reactions: AJX
Has the demo of kensington manor started up yet?

It is really close to being completely stripped to just concrete structure. The solid north and south walls have been removed. It’s an interesting shot from over by Vendome where you can see it with Annex in the opposite end of its life cycle.

On Fifth Street SW in Mission. I saw them doing some sort of prep work in the vicinity the other day. Not sure if it was related to this though.

0B1E1B1C-6893-4455-B398-425DD293776F.jpeg

Next to The Hub. New surprise tower?

DD04934C-2DE0-4055-8236-CB5E0DBEDAE7.jpeg
B37A3287-ABBA-43B5-8EAA-EDB70870E02D.jpeg

Back